cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DJI mavic 2 PRO vs Canon EOS R

jaisomnmickjose
Apprentice

I know this is a DSLR forum but I have a very annoying query running in my mind. I have an old Canon ,1100 D with 50mm 1.8 that kinda does the job outdoors .

I have been eyeing to buy a drone for 6 months now and now that I've saved enough for it ,I am suddenly having second thoughts.

Is there a person who uses both a drone and a full frame DSLR? I'm finding it hard to come up with use cases for a drone now. I'm an enthusiast who loves making his trips memorable and I believea a drone footage would be awesome for those landscapes and cool aerial shots.

Looking for opinion from people who have used both ..

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm finding it hard to come up with use cases for a drone now.

I believe a a drone footage would be awesome for those landscapes and cool aerial shots.

That is the use case. Only you can decide if the ost is worth it.

Be aware that drones are not allowed in many of the places where great video could be captured.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Do you live in the US or Canada? Both have a lot of restrictions in place now that are relatively new which you may not be aware of. IF you're in the US you should read this plus any other regulations now applicable to drones

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/31/2019-28100/remote-identification-of-unmanned-ai...

And if you're in Canada you need to either join the MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada)  or write an exam to get a pilots license plus jump through a lot of other hoops to stay legal.

https://blog.navcanada.ca/new-rules-for-flying-drones-in-canada-8-things-to-know/

As for drone video vs a DSLR I think the drone will do more things entertainment wise but to get the most from it you'll need to edit your results to keep it entertaining. There are zillions of hours of boring videos on line already. There are also many great videos out there that were shot with a drone & carefully edited.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

DronesHeaven
Apprentice

I am a professional vlogger. Until 2019 I used to carry DSLR everywhere I go. One of my friends suggested using some of the best DJI drones to capture some breathtaking aerial videos for my vlog. For about 17 - 18 months, I flew DJI Mavic Pro, and the results are outstanding. Recently in June, I have bought DJI Mavic Air 2 to record 4k video. In my opinion, if you use drones properly as a camera, you do not need to carry DSLR. If you would like to know some excellent drones for photography, you can <link removed per forum guidelines> and I'm sure it will help you.

Announcements