cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D70 Can I Lock the SCN and CA settings?

timb12957
Apprentice

In SCN or CA mode after I set the desired parameters can I lock them so when I switch modes then come back the parameters will still be where I set them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello timb12957, 

The SCN and CA modes do not lock in the settings in the case you were to switch modes.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Tim
Authority

Hello timb12957, 

The SCN and CA modes do not lock in the settings in the case you were to switch modes.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

I use my 5DSR mounted in the belly of an airplane and taking a picture once a second for 4 hours at a time. I don't look through the camera and would rather the mirror not take all that abuse. On the old SLRs, you could manually lock the mirror up and keep it up. I know there's a feature on the 5dsr that they CALL mirror lock but it just lets you delay the shutter a second or two after the mirror flips up...which wouldn't work for what we do. Does anyone know a way to lock it up and keep it up?

Separately, the Canon manual says: "When you use a remote switch and do not look through the viewfinder, stray light entering the viewfinder can cause the picture to look dark. To prevent this, use the eyepisece cover." I don't understand. Could this affect photos?

Thanks!

Hello denmarks, 

Yes, on some older film SLR cameras, one could lock up the mirror in a different fashion than the mirror lockup that is offered today.  The mirror lockup seen on cameras today is intended as method to eliminate blurred photos which might occur from the vibrations of the mirror.  In effect the principle is the same except it's limited to single shot shooting.  So once it takes the shot the mirror goes down.  There is no method in camera to force it to stay open and allow the camera to continue taking shots as you've suggested.  If you are looking for a camera that would not have the wear and tear on the mirror, you may wish to look into one of the Canon mirrorless cameras, like the EOS M50 or the new EOS R. 

Yes, like the manual says, "When you use a self timer, bulb or a remote switch and do not look through the viewfinder, stray light entering the viewfinder can cause the picture to look dark. To prevent this, use the eyepiece cover."  The reason for this is because, as the manual points out stray light can enter into the camera through the viewfinder when the mirror is locked up. 

Thanks Tim,

I did read that in the manual, but don't really know the mechanism for where the light finds its way to the metering sensor so don't know the risk. If it can happen when the mirror is in "locked" mode where it flips up a second before the shutter, I would think it could also happen any time during a normal shot too and ALL photos should have either your eye, or a viewfinder cover, over the viewfinder during shooting.

@denmarks wrote:

Thanks Tim,

I did read that in the manual, but don't really know the mechanism for where the light finds its way to the metering sensor so don't know the risk. If it can happen when the mirror is in "locked" mode where it flips up a second before the shutter, I would think it could also happen any time during a normal shot too and ALL photos should have either your eye, or a viewfinder cover, over the viewfinder during shooting.

How does it happen?  The viewfinder contains a pentaprism.  The metering sensor is located just above it.

When light enters the DSLR body from the lens, it hits a mirror that reflects most of the light upwards towards the pentaprism in the viewfinder.  A small portion of the light is reflected downward to the AF sensor.  When light enters the pentaprism, it gets split again, with some light continuing upwards to the metering sensor, while the rest is diverted towards the eyepiece.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ah...so it makes sense then that light going the other way, FROM the eyepiece can also enter the pentaprism and go up to the metering sensor and affect the exposure. I think I'll find the eye caps and use them. Can't hurt. Thank you.

Thanks. I did look into the mirrorless cameras a little while back. I really do use all 50mp of the 5dsr so they won't quite work for me.
"Accept as Solution" doesn't appear on most replies...I saw it on one and used it.

Not only do i not see all the buttons referred to, but I rarely see the icons that let you start a new thread. Do you know if this is a common issue on this site?

denmarks
Contributor

I have a few 5dsrs that I use in aircraft...which vibrates a fair amount. On my last trip, one stopped powering on. I switched batteries, connected it ot an AC adapter...nothing. I was planning on sending it in for repair but it's turning on now. I'm a little concerned that if I send it in and it's working normally, the problem won't get found...though I would hope the technicians would look at it as if it was not powering up. Is this an intermittant problem others have had? Thanks.

PS. I keep having to start a new thread by hitting "Reply" and changing the subject line...because I don't get the new thread icon showing up (it did once). Is this a problem on this site? Not sure if it really gets out as a new thread.

Announcements