cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Camera

Hatchet2481
Apprentice

Can I email Canon and have them remove certain items in my camera (example: my Hydrogen Alpha Filter) for Astrophotography?

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Did you purchase a particular astrophography camera from Canon?  Did a different company modify a stock camera to become an astrophotography camera?

I don't think it's possible to reverse things; though if you went the latter route, you'll need to reach out to the company that did the modification to see if it's reversible.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

No I have not. I am looking for a place that could do the modified work though.

Web search “camera astrophotography modifications”. Many options. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Stephen

If you were to send a product to our Factory Service Center, they're obliged to return it to its Original Factory Specifications because we warranty all of our work. If your camera is modified, our team will basically undo the modification. 

If you're asking our team to remove a filter that comes standard on your camera's sensor, they cannot do that - because it would prevent the camera from being at factory specs.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to reach out to support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

To send your gear for a repair, get started in your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

Michaelhunt
Contributor

The process is quite simple. First, void the warranty on your camera by opening it up. Remove the parts and electronics until you get to the optical window above the sensor and remove it. Now replace it with clear glass or an IR-blocking filter that is less aggressive and lets the hydrogen-alpha wavelength through. Then simply reassemble the camera. It's easy!  ManageMyHealth Login

Announcements