cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing color of the screen on EOS R5

Icedragonrkrh
Contributor

Just curious if anyone else has thought about the convivence of being able to change the EOS R5 screen information to RED, instead of the usual white?  I shoot quite a bit of astrophotography and it would be great if Canon could come up with a firmware update that would allow me to change the color of my screen.  I use a red light for everything else when shooting at night and it would be nice to not get a white-blast from the screen in between exposures.

15 REPLIES 15

@Tronhard wrote:

Well... perhaps, but not necessarily a great thing if one is composing via the LCD at the back.  In that case it's going to tint the image itself.  I am thinking of shots like the northern lights, shooting the moon near the horizon etc.  I think it would be great if they just added the option for red coloured text to the display options - then we wouldn't have to buy solutions to make it sort of work.

That’s what initially drove me toward the lens hood.  It’s temporary.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I still reckon it's a fairly simple firmware update that wouldn't kill Canon to add and then we wouldn't be trying to work around it...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Could not agree more Tronhard!!  It cannot be that hard for an IT guy @ Canon to write a firmware update to make this happen!!  While all the ideas above are good ideas, they are only stop-gap fixes to the issue.  Here in Missouri, I can only dream of shooting the Northern Lights, but I get out as often as possible to do Milky Way images and every Lunar Eclipse that rolls around.  I have a lot of astro-shooter friends that would love to have their screens red so as not to impair their night vision.  Someday ... maybe!!  Will keep my fingers crossed that the powers-that-be hear my cry.  LOL

What if you buy a glass screen protector, not plastic, and then slapped a sheet of red window tint onto that glass screen protector?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well or have one that can attach via a thin magnetic frame, so it can be removed at will?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

LCinOH
Contributor

I have the same problem with my T7i. I can’t see the the bright white. I have that option on my T3i. Why didn’t they put it in the firmware on my T7i. If I had known this I probably looked at a different brand. I would like to get an answer from Canon. This is not good. The camera shop I bought my T7i, when I called them to find the menu on the T7i to change colors, didn’t even know about that option not being available on theT7i. Makes me wonder. Come on Canon. Add some firmware to correct their glaring  error of not offering the option of changing the LCD Screen’s color

Announcements