cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon r5, choosing memory card for photos

hpeterson
Apprentice

My Canon r5 has a physically large memory card and a conventional memory card.  I always go to the menu and choose to put my photos on #1--the large card.  Sometimes this works.  However, about 50% of the time the photos are taken on the smaller card.  (I am not talking about capacity, I am talking about physical size of the card.)

Does anyone else have this problem and do you have any advice?  Thank you

1 REPLY 1

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

First, for future reference, the "physically large memory card" is called CF Express, type B. The "conventional memory card" is called an SD card.  Probably you have an SDHC or SDXC, as these are the two most recent generations.

I don't currently have an R5, but having used one for a while, I never saw this happen.  But check your settings carefully, and check the manual, page 740 (that's with manual version 1.6.0).  The section is called "Recording Method with Two Cards Inserted".

If you set "Separate" to enable, then movies should go to the CF Express, and stills to the SD card.  So I guess you want this disabled.  Then you've got the "[Still] Rec options", which can do things like auto switching.

Basically there are multiple options which affect where your photos go, so check them carefully.  (Canon could have made this simpler.)

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements