cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6 battery not charging...charger issue or battery?

Dekomoridesu
Apprentice

A couple of days ago my canon T6 battery didn't charge all night, the light on the charger kept blinking orange. 
I put it in the camera to verify it didn't charge a bit. I tried unplugging it, replugging and waiting for 10 seconds, everything the manual said to do when the battery doesn't charge. I have 1 bar left when I put it into my camera so it isn't completely dead, just won't charge. 
I used my friends battery for his T6 and it also kept blinking orange so I rinsed and repeated all of the other steps. I went ahead and bought a new battery when I thought mine was dead but now I'm wondering if it is just an issue with the charger and not the battery. Is there even a way to tell? I feel like I'm running in circles to fix this issue. 
I got my camera in 2019 and use it very often, multiple times a week and charge often as well.

I am completely lost and confused and really want the dang battery to work so I can take photos again, anyone have any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have a new battery, a Canon brand I hope!  You have to buy a new charger. Simple.  Even if it isn't the charger a couple extra batteries and an additional charger is really nice to have.

BTW, if you didn't buy a brand new Canon battery do that first. It must be a Canon branded battery from a known good retailer. Amazon or eBay is not a known good retailer. Locally try Best Buy.  Web order B&H Photo, Adorama, Roberts and several more big time web outlets.

This same advice goes for your SD cards, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Does your brand new battery also fail to charge? That wasn't clear from what you wrote above.  If that's the case, I would say the charger itself is bad since it'd be three batteries that would have failed to charge (original, friend's, new).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Jackattack675
Apprentice
I am having the very same issue with my t6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have a new battery, a Canon brand I hope!  You have to buy a new charger. Simple.  Even if it isn't the charger a couple extra batteries and an additional charger is really nice to have.

BTW, if you didn't buy a brand new Canon battery do that first. It must be a Canon branded battery from a known good retailer. Amazon or eBay is not a known good retailer. Locally try Best Buy.  Web order B&H Photo, Adorama, Roberts and several more big time web outlets.

This same advice goes for your SD cards, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dekomoridesu
Apprentice
My new charger came in before my new battery, just tested it out and it’s charging the other batteries.

(Using all Canon brand, no third party batteries or chargers).
Hope this helps someone else going through the same issue

Glad you got the charging issue sorted out and chargers do die on occaision.

I have modified my battery buying somewhat.  My 1 series get nothing but genuine Canon batteries which have never given me any trouble but after having issues with three different Canon LP-E6 series batteries not charging properly with very little use on them, I switched to Watson for my Canon 5DS and 5DS R bodies and these have never given me any problems.

Canon released some service notes for their LP-E6 batteries as a work around for the communications issues that can occur with genuine Canon batteries and chargers but in my experience it only works sometimes and certainly isn't worth the hassle of paying more for Canon brand batteries that don't perform as they should.  The newer higher capacity E6 series Canon batteries may have cured the defect but I am happily staying with Watson brand for my 5DS bodies.  Reliability is my number one concern with camera gear and even though I travel with sufficient backup batteries, I no longer trust Canon produced LP-E6 batteries.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements