cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T4i screen glitching

MrDolph
Apprentice

Me and my father had this camera for years and it received relatively low usage throughout the years, trips, my father's fieldwork as a biologist and whatnot, just a month ago I started recording more and all was fine until today, the camera sat in a car for like 3h max in the afternoon and it was 25C max throughout and was under shate, came home and went to record and this started happening. Screen will randomly shutdown in the middle of a recording, it constantly glitches like the video provided and staying in photo mode yields the same glitching/jumping/flickering, what do I do? . Can say the footage doesn't glitch like the screen but it does glitch, freeze and pixelate at times. Don't have a proper SDHC card at the moment so am using a micro SD on an adaptor if that makes any difference, downloading speed have been slow at best but they were working as intended) and now it also glitches in the photo shooting screen but it does glitches, freezes and pixelates at times. Don't have a proper SDHC card at the moment so am using a micro SD on an adaptor if that makes any difference, downloading speed have been slow at best but they were working as intended) and now it also glitches in the photo shooting

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Micro SD cards are a common cause of issues with Canon cameras.  If you have recently switched to using that, I strongly suggest you switch back to a full-size SD card, and then have another go to see how the system works.
Basically, a micro SD card has a second level of mechanical connection that may not be reliable under the stress of downloading data from the camera.

While you may not have a SDHC Full size card, do you have any full-size card available?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MrDolph
Apprentice

The recordings sure are corrupt, in the meantime, while i try to get new cards, can i be somewhat sure it wasn't due to temperture or any defect really since it was functioning just yesterday? there's no chance it could have gotten even close to 40C so, for now, until i can know if it's due to the sd card which seems really likely, should i worry? what are best practices in the meantime?

I don't know the relative temperatures between working and not working in your situation.  However, the camera getting warm (even if not hot by your standards), could cause an expansion within the memory card interface between the Micro SD card and the adapter card component.
Without more data I doubt anyone can give you an assurance at this stage.  The best thing to do is replace the card in any case, it's an known issue and risk.

While you may not have a SDHC Full size card, do you have any full-size card available to test with?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements