cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7I - No Wifi Connection

Andrew6859
Apprentice

I need some advice.  Every time I try to connect my phone to the camera’s WiFi to download photos it says that the camera’s WiFi has no internet connection.  I’ve reset the camera WiFi, my phone and the camera and still can’t figure it out.  Thanks!  

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Sorry to learn you are having issues with your connectivity.
In order to help you, it would be useful to know what make and model your phone is please, and what version of its operating system you are using.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I don't know the T7i (are you using an Eye-Fi card?).  But in general, if your camera sets itself up as a hotspot, it's to allow you to access the camera from your phone.  So your phone connects to the camera INSTEAD OF the internet.  While it's doing this, the phone will have no internet access, because the camera has no internet connection.  Just ignore the warning.

Basically some cameras (like the R5, for example) can set themselves up as WiFi hotspots so that you can connect to them even out in the wilderness, where there's no internet.  This is fine.  You get remote control of the camera with your phone, which is presumably what you want.  You don't get YouTube, because your camera has no way to connect you to YouTube.

But some phones (like modern Android phones) look for an internet connection when they connect to WiFi, for exampe by pinging Google's servers.  If they don't find an internet connection, they tell you, so you know if you're on a bad WiFi hotspot.  If your goal was to connect to your camera, you can and should just ignore this warning.

I get the exact same warning if I remote control my R5 out in the field.  At home I don't get it, because there the R5 connects to my home WiFi, and the phone accesses the R5 through that.  It can them simultaneously access the internet.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Use Bluetooth to get it started.  Having Wi-Fi in the camera does not mean that it is fully networkable.  Wi-Fi is pretty slow when it comes to transferring files.  The camera uses Wi-Fi for longer range compared to Bluetooth.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART167541&pmv=print&impressions=false&viewloc... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Actually, WiFi is much faster than Bluetooth.  WiFi can transfer data at hundreds of megabytes per second; Bluetooth is like 3Mb/s max -- that's 0.375 megabytes per second. (It goes faster over 802.11 -- which is WiFi, basically.)  It's going to depend on what version of WiFi you have, of course.

The big advantages of Bluetooth are low power, short range (which can really be an advantage), and easy set-up. The R5, for example uses Bluetooth to set up the WiFi link, and then does the big stuff (video streaming) over WiFi.

It looks like the T7i has NFC to set up your communications, which should be even easier, if your phone supports it.

@AtticusLake wrote:

Actually, WiFi is much faster than Bluetooth.  WiFi can transfer data at hundreds of megabytes per second; Bluetooth is like 3Mb/s max -- that's 0.375 megabytes per second. (It goes faster over 802.11 -- which is WiFi, basically.)  It's going to depend on what version of WiFi you have, of course.

The big advantages of Bluetooth are low power, short range (which can really be an advantage), and easy set-up. The R5, for example uses Bluetooth to set up the WiFi link, and then does the big stuff (video streaming) over WiFi.

It looks like the T7i has NFC to set up your communications, which should be even easier, if your phone supports it.

That’s not the point of establishing a connection via Bluetooth.  Bluetooth automates the Wi-Fi setup process.  I’m not certain if the camera has NFC, or if NFC even works with CanonConnect.app.  

I think Canon’s bodies tend to have either Bluetooth or NFC, but not both.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Bluetooth automates the Wi-Fi setup process" -- sorry if I wasn't clear, but that's exactly what I was trying to get at.  Like I said, the R5, for example uses Bluetooth to set up the WiFi link.

As for NFC, the info I'm seeing online says that the T7i has NFC (as well as BT and WiFi -- they aren't mutually exclusive).  The document you posted shows how to use it to set up WiFi.

Announcements