cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R8 with Godox TT350C Flash

mmbrombe
Contributor

Happy new owner of a Canon R8, still learning. I switched from Fuji and had a very good experience with my Godox TT350F flash - lightweight, powerful, tons of features and affordable. After reading the R8 manual and some online reviews, I'm wondering if the Canon version of the same flash (TT350C) along with the AD-E1 adapter would work properly with the R8's multi-function pin arrangement. Would appreciate any insights. Thank you, Marcelo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The EL-100 is fully compatible with the EOS R8. It is also fully compatible with the in camera flash menu. It will also be able to provide an AF Assist Beam via Intermittent Flash Firing (disco flash). But note depending on the ambient lighting. An AF Assist Beam maybe projected by the camera instead of the speedlite. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Marcelo,

You may run into compatibility issues using a non-canon flash on your R8.  We don't have information about 3rd party compatibility.

Others have said that 3rd party flashes don't usually appear in the cameras menus and cannot be controlled.  I don't know for sure, you have to test with it.  

Others may also chime in.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your feedback. It's looking like the Canon EL-100 might work with the R8. I just need a lightweight, small flash for fill-in.

The EL-100 is fully compatible with the EOS R8. It is also fully compatible with the in camera flash menu. It will also be able to provide an AF Assist Beam via Intermittent Flash Firing (disco flash). But note depending on the ambient lighting. An AF Assist Beam maybe projected by the camera instead of the speedlite. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Thank you so much for your reply, this is great news - much appreciated!

Hi

Upgrading form a t3i to r7.  Although a few dollars more, i am considering buying an EL-100 to avoid any compatibility issues.

My only concern is the power of the flash and i was curious if you had any thoughts in this area.  I currently have a Yongnuo YN560 that has served me extremely well (pretty much always use bounce flash), and the EL-100 seems like it might be a significant step-down in power.  The AD-E1 is out of stock everywhere, and of course this huge Yongnuo is awkward on the r7.  I wouldn't be as concerned power wise with the 430, but the price is pretty high for my needs.

I am not a professional photographer, just casual use.  

Thanks

AJM

The AD-E1 adapter is ONLY required for weather sealed speedlites. The EL-100 doesn't have weather sealing therefore isn't required. You can always look into used speedlites. The 430EX II is a great option. If new the 430EX III-RT is also good. But please start a new forum regarding your question.

-Demetrius

Greetings, quite frankly I am not terribly impressed with the EL-100, especially for the price when compared to the TT-350. It only has two setting (24mm and 50mm), has no bounce card, no built-in diffuser and no auto-zoom. I'm an amateur and not very demanding of my gear, and this flash was my choice strictly to avoid compatibility issues. For my needs (daytime fill, interior shots, etc.) it works well, but that's about it. Hope this helps.

inkista
Contributor

This is just me, but the TT350-C should work just fine on an R8 without an AD-E1 adapter. The only body that requires the AD-E1 to work with any flash that has the traditional Canon five-pin layout on the bottom of its foot is the R50, where all five of the corresponding contacts have been removed.  The AD-E1 adapter is required to maintain weather-sealing with higher-end speedlights like a 600EX II-RT.  But the new multifunction hotshoe is backwards-compatible with older traditional-foot speedlights as well as the upcoming EL-5 that only uses those front-edge contacts not pins on the bottom of the foot.

That said, Godox's for-Canon speedlights don't necessarily have 100% compatibility with the R hotshoe.  Some bodies have had weird Err7 instances when using single-point AF. and the R5/R6 notoriously cannot use TTL+HSS together simultaneously when off-camera (works fine on-camera, apparently).  So there is still some compatibility issues that can crop up that Godox hasn't figured a firmware fix for, yet.  But simple on-camera usage appears to be pretty good with Godox and the R bodies that still have the five traditional contacts on the hotshoe.

The EL-100 will be absolutely compatible, and has a head that swivels 330º (TT350 only does 270º as you know) and is arguably a more powerful and better on-camera unit than a TT350 (so worth being twice as expensive). But it's not equipped with an radio for remote control off-camera. 

Unfortunately, unlike the full-sized speedlights in Godox's system, the TT350/V350 minis aren't designed to do cross-brand TTL/HSS. Some combos it works, others it doesn't. But if you got a TT350-C, it could remotely fire and power control your TT350-F as an off-camera flash over radio, if you wanted to get into lighting with off-camera flash.

mmbrombe
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. For an extra $60 or so I’d rather go with the EL 100 just to avoid any potential incompatibilities, as minor as they may be. Since everything Canon is new to me, I would rather not risk getting stuck with some cryptic error message and becoming frustrated trying to figure out what’s going on. Thank you again for your help.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements