cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R8 using off camera flash?

tucker0012
Apprentice

Hello!

I've been considering upgrading R10 to R8 for my first full frame. I use off camera flashes almost daily and I have been seeing on YouTube and through google that having no mechanical shutter and only having electronic could possibly make it where my flashes don't work too well with my body? I heard a few times about flashes not going off maybe 1/5 times and weird line appearing on the photos. Is this true?

If so, I might go for a R7, but I really want to go for my first full frame.. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Flash photography can be used on the R8 when set to Electronic First Curtain. Fully Electronic Shutter IS NOT compatible with flash photography. Only the R3 supports that feature at this time.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I've seen that using first curtain (other bodies, not the R8) that there's a chance your flash won't fire or there will be weird lines on your images, does that not apply to the R8?

Canon's speedlites always fire on their mirrorless bodies when set to Full Mechanical or EFCS (excluding the R3 it can use Fully Electronic Shutter with flash). 3rd Party Gear may NOT be compatible. I haven't used the R8 but I have used the R, RP, R5, R6, R6 Mark II, R7 & R10. Some of them had the visible affects on the pictures in EFCS. But not with Full Mechanical Shutter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I recently purchased the Canon R8 and love it for everything EXCEPT off-camera flash photography. I did set it to Electronic First Curtain, but it doesn't work. I first tried my electronic trigger in M mode and couldn't see my subject in either the viewfinder or screen. It showed in every other mode and fired, but M mode with a sync speed of 200, or less is the standard. I then tried it with a sync cord and hot shoe adapter with a PC connection... same problem. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Announcements