cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R7 subject tracking

firstmirrorless
Contributor

I have a question about the subject tracking feature on the R7. Of note, I use back button focus. My question: Once the camera has locked onto its subject and is tracking it around the viewfinder, is it also focusing on it? Or is it only tracking it without focusing? Do I need to be pressing the BB focus button to get it to focus? Also of note, when I DO press the back button focus, the white tracking squares disappear and the square goes back to being the blue servo color. Some imperfect experimentation suggests that it's tracking-only, not focusing, which makes me sad.

Anyone got a quick answer for this one?

Big thank yous!

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The default behavior with a DSLR, when you press the BBF button it turns on the AF and Metering systems.  When you release the BBF button,  the AF system stops tracking and the AF points will actually turn off and disappear.

The behavior is similar in a MILC body, because of an added twist.  The MILC bodies are capable of continuously tracking a subject and focusing even after you take your finger off the Shutter or BBF button.

You should assume that you need to keep the BBF button pressed with the R7 when using Servo AF mode.  Personally, I leave AF on the Shutter Button.  Your thumb will get tired over time from pressing BBF.  In addition to being tiring during a long ball game, I find it also makes hand holding the camera a little more unsteady.

I also recommend that you activate AF points display during Image Playback in the camera.  This is a helpful diagnostic tool.  You may discover some photos do not have a locked AF point.  These same photos will probably look a little soft, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you. I'll activate AF points in Playback. But my base question: When the subject is actively being tracked, as evidenced by the double white square, is it also focusing, or only tracking?

“ You should assume that you need to keep the BBF button pressed with the R7 when using Servo AF mode.

Remember, the camera will only do what ask it to do.  If you ask the wrong questions, then you will get the wrong answers.  

It takes a lot of practice to get it all figured out.  I like to compare learning to use a camera to learning to play a musical instrument, like a guitar or piano.  Practice.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If you want the camera to focus you need to press the "AF-ON" button or "*" (which ever is configured for BBF). Mirrorless cameras track all the time unlike DSLR cameras. Focus lock only happens in One Shot not Servo AF.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ctitanic
Enthusiast

in AF Servo, if you keep the BBF pressed the camera and Subject tracking is on in the AF Menu, the R7 will keep focusing all time. You can test it by focusing on something and get closer while you have the button pressed. If the subject moves the camera still will track the subject keeping the focus as long as you keep the BBF pressed. That's how it works in a R7. 

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R7, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF18-150, RF50.
Flickr

firstmirrorless
Contributor

So I guess the bottom line is that whichever button is used to focus, it needs to be pressed even if the subject is being tracked. Subject tracking is tracking-only, not also focusing. Canon, if you're listening- I think there are several of us who would like the subject being tracked to ALSO be continually in focus. Firmware upgrade?

@firstmirrorless wrote:

So I guess the bottom line is that whichever button is used to focus, it needs to be pressed even if the subject is being tracked. Subject tracking is tracking-only, not also focusing. Canon, if you're listening- I think there are several of us who would like the subject being tracked to ALSO be continually in focus. Firmware upgrade?

You’re assumption is incorrect.  The refocuses as it tracks subjects.

Learn how to use the camera as it was designed to be used.  You have complete control over when and how the camera tracks subjects and focuses on subjects.  

Sometimes you want to be able to pause the focusing, such as when something comes between you and your subject.  In this case you probably would not want the camera to refocus on the new object that has gotten in the way.  Remove your finger from BBF to pause the focusing and tracking until whatever is blocking your view of the subject has moved on.

There is nothing “wrong” with the camera, just your understanding of how it works.  This means you can rule out a firmware upgrade to fix an operator error.

I understand nothing is wrong with the camera, and the snide tone is unnecessary. The AF function has a special case scenario to keep focus on an object even when obstacles get in the way, so why not have the tracking feature also keep focus on the subject as well, so when it emerges from behind the branches you can snap immediately? It's not a huge leap to want the process simplified. My question was not an invitation to be shamed, so kindly keep your superiority complex in check.

@firstmirrorless wrote:

I understand nothing is wrong with the camera, and the snide tone is unnecessary. The AF function has a special case scenario to keep focus on an object even when obstacles get in the way, so why not have the tracking feature also keep focus on the subject as well, so when it emerges from behind the branches you can snap immediately? It's not a huge leap to want the process simplified. My question was not an invitation to be shamed, so kindly keep your superiority complex in check.

If truly understand that nothing is wrong with the camera, then why did you express a wish for a firmware update to fix your issue?

The “special case scenario” that you describe above does not exist.  It is wishful thinking.  Magic bullets do not exist in the real world.

FACT!  The camera cannot focus on a subject when it loses “line of sight” contact with the subject.  I am sorry if you disagree with the science.  This is basic physics and common sense.  

I am not expressing an opinion.  The camera cannot focus on that which it cannot “see.”  Depending upon your camera setting, it will either stop refocusing or it will focus on another subject.

I stand by everything that I have said.  Learn how to use the camera as it has been designed.  Just because you do not get the results that you expect does not mean there is a bug in the firmware.  

The camera is not omnipotent.  It will only do what you ask it to do.   If you ask the wrong questions, then you will get the wrong answers.

If you have not already downloaded the full User Guide, then follow the link below to download a copy.  Good Luck!

Announcements