cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R7 + EF 70-200mm 2.8L USM I (focus or configuration problem?)

andersonnssilva
Apprentice

ESPECTROS_CARRANCAS_BFA2023_ANDERSONSILVA-52.jpg

Could you tell me if the Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L USM (first generation) adapts well to the Canon R7? If there is a setting... I'm having trouble with this combination. I photograph sports (American football) and I notice that I lose focus very easily when I photograph using H+ / AI SERVO / AF SERVO 2 or 4. I notice that even though it appears "in focus", the images are blurry or the subject is not well focused. I've already changed firmware, I've tested several settings and nothing changes. I saw in a publication some lenses that don't work well above 15 fps. I would like feedback. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Is this the IS or non-IS version of the lens. This lens doesn't support H+ shooting because the lens aperture can't stop down fast enough. Only the F/4 Mark II & F/2.8 Mark III IS support it. No other models support it.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@andersonnssilva wrote:

ESPECTROS_CARRANCAS_BFA2023_ANDERSONSILVA-52.jpg

Could you tell me if the Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 L USM (first generation) adapts well to the Canon R7? If there is a setting... I'm having trouble with this combination. I photograph sports (American football) and I notice that I lose focus very easily when I photograph using H+ / AI SERVO / AF SERVO 2 or 4. I notice that even though it appears "in focus", the images are blurry or the subject is not well focused. I've already changed firmware, I've tested several settings and nothing changes. I saw in a publication some lenses that don't work well above 15 fps. I would like feedback. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.  Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues and difficulties.

No one can advise you without more information.  I have no doubt that your images are blurry.  But OOF, out of focus, images can be caused by wide variety of reasons.  We need to better understand and see your issue.

Can you post a sample image file (preferably uncropped)  and include the EXIF data with the image?  If the image file is too large, then use a file transfer service like Dropbox or Google drive.

Please confirm that you are using the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM, the older lens without Image Stabilization.  The older lens may not be fully compatible the H+ frame rates.

Your description of your camera settings   I was not aware than any R Series bodies included AI Servo AF.  This AF mode of operation was available in DSLRs, but most photographers would never use it because so many captured images would be OOF.

We would also need to know what shooting mode you are using: P, Av Tv, M, or one of the automatic shooting modes.  I have a dozen more questions.  Most of them can be answered by a sample image with EXIF data.  Of course, the sample image will likely create more questions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It appears that we have cross posted.  Thanks, for the sample image.

I think the OP meant Servo AF it was called "AI Servo" in SLR and DSLR cameras. I don't know why Canon dropped "AI" from the name. You may be thinking of AI Focus. Some R series bodies still have that mode to this day. The R5 & R6 don't have AI Focus. But the R6 Mark II does have AI Focus. If the OP does have the original EF 70-200mm IS USM lens or the non-IS models. They don't support H+ mode because the aperture can't stop down fast enough. The  F/4 Mark II & F/2.8 Mark III IS versions support it.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I saw in a publication some lenses that don't work well above 15 fps. I would like feedback. Thanks. “

The R7 User Guide should include a section that lists EF lenses that are compatible with Movie Servo AF.  I’ve looked at these lists in the R5 and R6 manuals, and the lists appear to be identical.  I have little doubt the same list apply to the R7.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11LLN7yyYAWnUuui5cMVf-LTj5_dOd3pB/view?usp=sharing - EXIF 1/250 - ISO 100 - 155mm - F/2.8 - M mode - WB auto

Sorry, I'm using H+/ SERVO/AF SERVO 2 or 4. Yes, I'm using the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM (without IS) and shooting in M ​​mode. I use a Canon EF/RF adapter.
I migrated from a 60D DSLR to the R7.

How many fps were you trying to shoot. Your lens doesn't support H+ shooting mode. The lens aperture CAN NOT stop down fast enough for 12 fps. So you'll be limited by how many fps you can get with that particular lens.

-Demetrius

I have already reduced the mode to H, but it still continues. I don't feel 100% focus like I did on the DSLR, even when photographing sports. I'll test it with a generation II or III lens and compare it with the one I use.

Another thing I noticed is that lenses with older and slower AF motors. They simply can not keep up with high fps mirrorless cameras. This becomes more prominent with lenses that already have slow AF Drives. Especially 1st gen EF lenses that use an Arc Form Drive AF (AFD) motor and Micro Motor lenses. Micro Motor, Micro Motor USM & AFD simply can't keep up on modern cameras. These types of AF motors have been retired and were ONLY used in the EF or EF-S Mount. Also Arc Form Drive AF Motor lenses AF and Aperture control work differently in AI Servo mode. These lenses are LIMITED to 3 fps in Servo AF. These lenses AF & stop down sequentially. All lenses that use newer AF motors AF & stop down at the same time. Micro Motor replaced AFD in 1993 for all new lens designs. Lenses released prior to then used Arc Form Drive or Ring Type USM (original USM AF Motor). Note existing lenses that had AFD would continue to be sold an remain unchanged.

-Demetrius

Announcements