cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 freezing

EJay
Apprentice

I recently updated my camera. Last night was the 1st event I attended with my R6 and it froze multiple times! It gave me an error reading with my battery, which I purchased directly from Canon. I had to turn the camera off and remove the battery multiple times once the camera froze to continue taking pictures. It's the 1st time this has happened since using my R6. So frustrating 😤 . I will reset to factory settings to see if this helps, if not I will have to request service. Any one else after the recent update?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the information.  Canon does not sell used equipment, so by "used" I assume you mean refurbished.  

Firmware v1.8.4 is good.  I'd look at 3 items.  I'd buy a new memory card and battery.  You don't need to stop using the others, but having spares to use might be helpful for testing.  

For additional validation, I'd reset the cameras settings (main and custom), test with the new battery and freshly formatted SD card.  I would not introduce the flashpoint unit until stability has been confirmed.  If you have other Canon lenses I'd test with another one of these to if the freezing behavior is observed again.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In addition to Rick’s excellent advice about memory cards I would add to only use UHS II, full size memory cards.  Format memory cards in the camera prior to first use.

Also, if you are not using wireless communications, then disable those features.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The camera offers flexible file and image save options.  RAW only, .jpg only, RAW+.jpg (both), CRAW, HEIF, etc.

Take a look at the user Guide under Specifications for more details:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 : Specifications (start.canon)

shadowsports_0-1713902271570.png

shadowsports_1-1713902300243.png

If you experience the freezing behavior again, please let us know.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@EJay wrote:

The SD card was new and now that I read your feedback, I don't think I formatted it. Every pic I took was recorded in CR3 and Jpeg. Previous SD cards I've used (the same brand & memory) I know I formatted them correctly and this duplicate saving never occurred before. 

That shouldn't be the reason for RAW+JPeG. Check the Shooting 1 menu (starting on page 123 of the manual) to be sure only RAW are saved. It could have been accidently changed 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please provide us with a complete picture of your environment.  

Camera was purchased new, used?

R6 running firmware version?

Memory card type / brand.  Is it full size?

Lens or lenses in use when this behavior occurs.

If an adapter is being used is it Canon brand?

You mentioned a new battery.  This was purchase directly from Canon, correct?

Any other accessories in use?

Resetting the camera is a good first step.  

Will await your response.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello!

I purchased the R6 used from Canon November 2022.

Flash was mounted: Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X Pro R2 purchased new from Adorama March 2024.

Battery: was received with the camera in November 2022. 

Memory card: SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC. 

Firmware: 1.8.4

Lens: Refurbished RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 IS STM purchased along with camera in November 2022.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for the information.  Canon does not sell used equipment, so by "used" I assume you mean refurbished.  

Firmware v1.8.4 is good.  I'd look at 3 items.  I'd buy a new memory card and battery.  You don't need to stop using the others, but having spares to use might be helpful for testing.  

For additional validation, I'd reset the cameras settings (main and custom), test with the new battery and freshly formatted SD card.  I would not introduce the flashpoint unit until stability has been confirmed.  If you have other Canon lenses I'd test with another one of these to if the freezing behavior is observed again.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In addition to Rick’s excellent advice about memory cards I would add to only use UHS II, full size memory cards.  Format memory cards in the camera prior to first use.

Also, if you are not using wireless communications, then disable those features.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EJay
Apprentice

Thank you Waddizzle and Shadowsports!! As a newbie I will take these helpful suggestions. I will always have extra batteries on me going forward and be sure to read the type of SD cards I purchase in the future. The SD card was new and now that I read your feedback, I don't think I formatted it. Every pic I took was recorded in CR3 and Jpeg. Previous SD cards I've used (the same brand & memory) I know I formatted them correctly and this duplicate saving never occurred before. 

@EJay wrote:

The SD card was new and now that I read your feedback, I don't think I formatted it. Every pic I took was recorded in CR3 and Jpeg. Previous SD cards I've used (the same brand & memory) I know I formatted them correctly and this duplicate saving never occurred before. 

That shouldn't be the reason for RAW+JPeG. Check the Shooting 1 menu (starting on page 123 of the manual) to be sure only RAW are saved. It could have been accidently changed 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The camera offers flexible file and image save options.  RAW only, .jpg only, RAW+.jpg (both), CRAW, HEIF, etc.

Take a look at the user Guide under Specifications for more details:

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 : Specifications (start.canon)

shadowsports_0-1713902271570.png

shadowsports_1-1713902300243.png

If you experience the freezing behavior again, please let us know.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements