cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 freezing issues - replace battery is the only known fix.

Nicholsandco
Contributor

So I purchased my Canon R6 in November 2021 and had zero issues with it freezing up. Never even heard of this issue until a month ago. In April 2023 I attended Shutterfest in STL and Canon was there as an event sponsor and was offering cleaning and basic repairs to CPS members. I’m a Gold member and professional photographer shooting Canon over 25+ years.

I dropped off my camera to be checked out, have the sensor cleaned AND asked by the CPS camera check in person if I wanted to have my firmware updated I replied yes. Good to go!

I returned a few hours later and got my camera back. With in a few hours I started shooting with it and it froze up (first time). I figured it was weird since it never happened before so I just turned it off and took out battery. Turn it back on and it worked fine. I figured it was a first time fluke.

Since that day it (random freezing) has been happening on every shoot I do sometimes once sometimes multiple times during the shoot. I am very disappointed this has happened to my R6, if I had known about the issue I would have never updated my firmware that day.

I’m not sure what firmware I was using - How can I discover my previous firmware before upgrading it? How to a revert back to that firmware version? I want to see if downgrading it to previous version fixes the issue since I’ve never had it prior to Shutterfest.

Before anyone asks me: I’ve since updated to 1.8.1 use canon batteries + off brand batteries (both styles freeze up), canon vertical grip and multiple cards. Also different lenses old EF and new RF lenses. Happens on all those products. I just ordered a new R6 body as a backup and now considering sending that one back until this known issue can be fixed. 😞  Help me Canon!

31 REPLIES 31

Stephen

Have you reached out to CPS so they can get your camera in to see why it's acting up? The camera keeps a log, and when the techs connect it to the diagnostic computer, it will read it (kind of like a car's check engine or a plane's black box). It may give them a clue as to why the camera is locking up on you. 

I’m not sure what firmware I was using - How can I discover my previous firmware before upgrading it? How to a revert back to that firmware version? I want to see if downgrading it to previous version fixes the issue

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Nicholasandco,

Really sorry to hear about the freeze ups.  Since you are experiencing the behavior under a variety of conditions / hardware, etc., I think CPS is the best course of action as Stephen suggests.   

@Stephen,

I did not know that Canon cameras had an embedded logging feature, but it makes sense they would.  I have been using OBDII readers / COBB Access Port on all of my Subaru's for over 15 yrs.  They are great diagnostic / performance enhancing tools.  Very helpful to know about this 👍     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I always suspected they did, but when I was at WPPI in Vegas this past March, I worked in the CPS room with the techs and asked a LOT of questions! That's where I confirmed this and had the opportunity to learn so much more! 😊

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lenses are you using?  Are you using an EF-RF mount adapter?

You made no mention of SD cards.  Have you tried a different SD card that has been freshly formatted?  

Finally, make sure your Wireless communications are disabled when not in use.  If all that fails, then follow Steven’s suggestions and contact CPS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have several EF: 24-70mm 70-200mm 85mm 50mm and the 35mm RF lens. All the EF lenses is use the Canon EF-RF lens adapter 

Did you check your wireless settings?  

You seem convinced that you know what the issue is.  Yes, there could be an issue associated with the firmware update, except it does not seem like everyone is reporting your issue.

I recommend a camera reset to factory defaults.  If the camera allows you to save settings to the memory card, then do so prior to resetting the camera.

@waddizzle - check this link below. I’m definitely not the only one having this issue. Here is just one of many post describing the same issues with R5 / R6 mirrorless cameras:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-R6-Freezing-Up-Intermittently/m...

@Nicholsandco wrote:

@waddizzle - check this link below. I’m definitely not the only one having this issue. Here is just one of many post describing the same issues with R5 / R6 mirrorless cameras:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-R6-Freezing-Up-Intermittently/m...

Good luck with your issues, then.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements