cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Mark II - Autofocus Issues?

Lindmando
Apprentice

Hi to everyone!

I just picked up the R6 Mark II. I think the camera is fantastic, but I’m having a weird issue with auto focus on one subject (people). 

I shot a video of my self talking on my RF 50mm 1.8 lens (got similar results on my EF 24-105), and I noticed that the auto focus is almost pulsing, and not keeping consistent focus on just me in the shot. It almost looks like the camera pulls back from focusing a little and then focuses in on me again. I stay sharp, but you can still see it happening/pulsing.

It looks like it’s trying to pull focus from something else even with what I perceived is the correct AI Servo AF settings. I used to have an EOS R and never had this issue. 

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

A link to what I’m talking about is attached in the comments. You can see it in the intro and the outro of the video. 

Here is what I’m talking about, check out my intro/outro shots:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h0j_7Q91A8CdLdolsgmI2vWYIRa1jIa4/view?usp=drivesdk

3 REPLIES 3

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

It looks to me like your aperture is changing as the subject (you) moves forward and back, hence the background seeming to pulse (DOF is changing). What mode are you using? Setting a constant aperture would probably solve that. I didn't notice you going out of focus, but I just gave it a quick look so I may have missed it as the background grabbed my attention right away.

If you are going OOF for a split second, it's probably the way you are moving toward and away from the camera as you talk and the lens can't keep up. I'm not sure about the RF 50 f/1.8, but the EF lens might have problems keeping up tracking. Is it the EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM or the older f/4L?

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

The EF 24-105mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF 24-105mm F/4L IS II USM lenses both fully support Movie Servo AF and 12 FPS. The original EF 24-105mm F/4L IS USM lens DOES NOT support 12 FPS or Movie Servo AF.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There has been a number of user that complain about focus pulsing.  The focus pulsing has almost become a hot topic in social media, especially among a handful of YouTube content creators.

After having watched the most viewed YouTube videos on this topic, I am certain that most of the issues are basic operator error.  The content creator(s) seem unaware of a couple of basics of photography.

The most common error and the most likely cause of the focus pulsing is leaving Image Stabilization enabled when using a tripod.  This is pretty much how IS works.  It hunts for start camera movement by slightly defocusing the lens and then correcting for it.  

Because of the lower frame rates with DSLRs, the “hunting” would take place more slowly.  The camera might fade in and out of focuse and back again over the course of a second or two.  

The new generation of MILC bodies have frame rates that are up to 10 times faster than DSLRs.  So the “hunting” occurs at a higher rate. Users describe it as pulsing.  

Sigma’s “Optical Stabilization” system has always been susceptible to this unstable behavior.  I used to own a Sigma 150-500mm.  The OS in the lens was constantly getting into a tug-of-war with the AF in the camera.  It was so bad that I had to keep OS disabled at all times.

When Sigma released their new 150-600mm “C” for their new Global line, the issue was still present.  Sigma released a major lens firmware update, which included completely new OS firmware.  The new firmware was a miraculous cure.  It fixed the “pulsing” problem, although it could return given the right set of shooting conditions and camera settings.

The second mistake that can cause “pulsing” is not properly observing MFD, minimum focus distance, for the lenses, especially when it comes to zooms.  YouTube content creators seem unaware that MFD will usually increase dramatically as you increase focal length with a super telephoto lens.

Also, I have not watched your video.  Most videos on YouTube are recorded without a camera operator pulling focus and adjusting settings.  The person in front of the camera is pretty much stationary, so AF tracking is usually not needed.  These types of videos are often referred to as “talking head” videos, because the creator’s head and face remain in one place throughout the entire video.

I hope these observations and advice help you resolve your issue(s).

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements