cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 I Video corrupted to .DAT file

cameraguy17
Apprentice

Hey everyone, so I had a recent wedding where a file corrupted of the bride walking down the aisle. It turned into a .DAT file 😬

I’ve been trying various free softwares, and even bought Wondershare Recoverit, but even with advanced video recovery it only turns into what looked like a really badly scratched DVD.

As a side note, it's an odd problem I've been having with the R6; no matter what battery or card I try it happens to corrupt some files with an error. I'm not sure what's causing the issue but the file is what I'm just focusing on recovering at the moment. Until I finish my switch to Sony, I'll have to use my tank-sized Blackmagic 6K Pro for weddings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try next in recovering the file? Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Aren't the actual videos saved as .MOV files or something similar? Does the .DAT file look large enough (like 500 MB or larger) to contain maybe a minute long video clip? I seem to recall that .DAT files tend to be relatively small.

It doesn't happen very often but sometimes an incorrect file extension can get attached to a file. I would make a copy of the .DAT file to your desktop, give it a new name, and change the file name extension to .MOV or .RAW or .AVC or whatever file type(s) the R6 can output. Then see if the renamed file copy can be opened with your video viewing or editing software. Avoid doing any experimenting with your original file!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This seems to happen sometimes. (Just search for .DAT in the search bar), but I don't think that there was ever any reported resolution.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Did you record the video to both card slots (simultaneous record)?  If not, definitely do that for the future.

Video is typically recorded to a folder (container) containing numerous files.  So if all you have is a single file ending in .DAT, that is most likely not something that could be recovered.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes I record to both memory cards regularly, but it was a single DAT file on both cards. 😬  Thanks for your help though.

Announcements