cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 focuses issues since I updated to version 1.9.0

CDean
Apprentice

Hello - I am a family photographer.  Before updating to version 1.9.0 i was on the original factory version.  I used to have about 95 percent of my images in focus.  Now, only about 30% of my images are in focus.  I use eye tracking and spot focus.  Using the same lenses as before the update. (IS 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8)  Any ideas on how to fix my focus issues.  I feel like I'm horrible photographer because NOTHING comes in focus.  Before the update, I rarely had focus issues.  Everything was in focus.  I have not changed my settings or my lenses. Any ideas on what I can do to get things back to the way they were? 

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Original version?  v1.1.0??  I hope not.  If so, I believe you have missed out on the 3 yr transformation of the R5.  Anything it did prior to v1.5 and 1.5.1 has changed dramatically.  

I suggest you first update to v2.0 which is the current firmware available.  If you have installed v1.9.0 there is no reason not to do this.  

You will not need to back up your settings.  Whatever you are using now will not apply to v2.0 (or v1.9).  Loading settings created from a past firmware version is not recommended.  

Now reset the camera's main and custom settings.  Set the camera up from scratch.  If you are unfamiliar with a new feature added in one of the many updates since what the camera was released with, spend time reading the manual and becoming familiar.  One of the benefits of digital media is Canon's ability to update the user guide to reflect new additions and features as new firmware is released.    

Canon Support for EOS R5 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

I have not heard of any complaints from a operational or performance standpoint with version v1.9.  Support started slow rolling it with devices coming in for service before it was made generally available.  It was well received.  Stable, responsive and no issues I am aware of.  v2.0 has been the same.

You will need to spend some time re-learning the camera.  There were fairly dramatic changes introduced with versions 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and later.  

Are you using a lens adapter?  If so, what brand.  

Can you tell us what lenses these are please? (IS 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8)  The EF 24-70 f2.8 II did not have IS and there has only been 1 variant of the RF 24-70.

You have a fantastic camera that has literally been transformed into a new device with the cumulative updates you recently got by applying v1.9.0.  Time to start again.  Reset and re-learn what you have been missing.  

If you would like us to look at any of your photos, we're happy to do that. Please upload a few raw files to a sharing service and post a link for us to view.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements