cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 - EVF blanking out

Jakte
Apprentice
Good day I have had really good luck with my new R5 until I attended a couple air shows. When I attempt to track jet fighters the EVF blanks out periodically when I attempt to track the fast moving air craft as they cross in front of me. Getting a bit better at dealing by keeping both eyes open so I will be on track when the EVF comes back online. Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You probably know, but there's a sensor under the EVF which detects your eye being present, and this will blank the EVF if it decides that you have removed the camera from your face.  Possibly if this sensor is over-sensitive, if you're moving your camera, it might be lifting from your face enough to trigger it.

In any case, you could try locking the camera to EVF only, and see if that helps.  "Setup" menu (spanner symbol), tab 3, "Screen/viewfinder display".

HTH...

@AtticusLake wrote:

You probably know, but there's a sensor under the EVF which detects your eye being present, and this will blank the EVF if it decides that you have removed the camera from your face.  Possibly if this sensor is over-sensitive, if you're moving your camera, it might be lifting from your face enough to trigger it.

In any case, you could try locking the camera to EVF only, and see if that helps.  "Setup" menu (spanner symbol), tab 3, "Screen/viewfinder display".

HTH...

Thank you very much for posting this, I got it working.

Great!

Another thing you can do is configure a button to switch between viewfinder and screen.  In the setup menu, set "Screen/viewfinder display" to "screen", then in "Customize buttons" set the button of your choice to "Switch between VF/screen".

If you use the custom configuration setups C1 - C3, you need to save the custom button in each one.

Announcements