cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 Water Splashed

minimalized
Contributor

Hello fellow Canoneers, 

Yesterday, my beloved M50 got splashed by a very small amount of water. Everything works fine, except the mode dial only switches between Av, Tv and P modes. Is there a way for removing any moisture from the dial? Is disassembly required?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Was the water source of the splash, fresh or saltwater?  If salt, then a non-weather sealed body is in trouble because the only treatment that works is immediate and radical.  It has to be flushed with distilled water and that has to be done immediately (within a few minutes).

But assuming it was fresh water, the prognosis is good.  Keep the battery out for now and put the camera in a fairly warm environment where the humidity is low.  I restore some pretty old vintage electronics gear and sometimes it requires a high impact washing to give it any chance of reliable operation.  When I have to do that, it gets a final rinse with distilled water followed by proper rapid drying.  Fortunately your camera doesn't require such treatment.

In front of a dehumidifier is a good way to provide rapid drying as long as it isn't located in an area where the humidity remains too high.  If you have a dehumidifier in your basement, temporarily move it into a ground floor bedroom and run it there with your camera in the output air stream for a day or so.  Do NOT put the pair in a closet or the dehumidifier will rapidly overheat. 

Or if you have access to desiccant packs, using those in a sealed bag with the camera will rapidly remove the moisture.  I have a bunch of reusable large mil spec packs that change color when saturated, they get baked for reuse.  When traveling with cameras, I also have sealed bags of desiccant with me.  Do NOT use rice or other "youtube" food methods.  These may be fine for cell phones but the dust and potential outgassing that these generate when they absorb moisture is not good for cameras.

This is also another good reason for keeping the body of the camera clean because the salt and oil from your skin being wicked into controls is what causes damage by turning fairly low mineral fresh water into salty water.

And shame on Canon for not providing better weather resistance in all but the very cheapest bodies.  Making something with external controls waterproof for submersion is very expensive, making them robust against splash isn't and it is reasonable to expect it will be exposed to moisture sources.  Standing in the surf and having a surprise wave break over you should reasonably be expected to cause damage, getting splashed by a breaking wave shouldn't.  This problem is made worse with designs that create more heat in the camera body because when hit by water it will be rapidly cooled causing air pressure inside to drop which will be relieved  by bringing air (and moisture) in through the point(s) of least resistance and that is often the shafts around the controls.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have let it dry for 3 days now, but no luck. Everything works perfectly, ..."

I didn't read through all the replies but the best way to dry a wet camera is  warm heating pad, not hot, just warm.

Somebody above did say to not remove the lens, that is totally wrong. Remove any thing that can be removed. Lay just the camera with all openings open on the warm heating pad. No battery no lens no caps noting all open. This can take way longer than three days too. Leave it there undisturbed for a week or more. I know it is instinct to turn on any electrical device when it gets wet just to see if it will still work but that is the worse thing you can do. So, don't turn it on again until it has sit on the heating pad for along while. Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

After following, what you said (heating pad and all) the camera came back to normal function. I can't thank you enough. I laid it on the heating pad, upside down so that the affected dial fully touched the pad and it worked wonders! Thanks again for the amazing advice!

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The mode dial is part of an entire top assembly.  I do not think you want to try to disassemble it.  I do not recommend trying to replace the top assembly yourself, either.  Let the professionals at Canon Service take a look at it, assuming that they would want to look at it.

Water damage has a habit of being permanent.  It also has a reputation for spreading, meaning, you do not know the true extent of the water damage until some time later.  It is for this last reason that Canon Service is reluctant to repair items that have experienced water damage.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for this note. The camera is like new, but out of warranty. The splash was really minor, a few drops, and I wiped it immediately, so let's hope it does not spread. But since the camera is out of warranty, I think I should probably try to disassemble it and replace the top assembly.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Overheard at the water cooler: Remove the battery and card and set the camera out to dry. Don't take off the lens? This could allow dust to enter. Putting on the body cap would be good. As mentioned, moisture could cause internal corrosion that wouldn't show up until later. BTW, does the lens work OK?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I would think that taking the lens off would be important for drying out the innerds of the camera body. Just keep the lens opening pointed down to prevent dust from settling on the sensor.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

I have let it dry for 3 days now, but no luck. Everything works perfectly, but the mode dial, no matter where its set, it only switches between Tv, Av and P modes. The splash was minor, but enough apparently. Thanks for the input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After removing the battery as Tintype_18 stated, place the camera on a heating pad for several days to try to drive the moisture out of the camera.

Let's hope it's not too late to try that. 3 days passed since that, but the problem remains.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Was the water source of the splash, fresh or saltwater?  If salt, then a non-weather sealed body is in trouble because the only treatment that works is immediate and radical.  It has to be flushed with distilled water and that has to be done immediately (within a few minutes).

But assuming it was fresh water, the prognosis is good.  Keep the battery out for now and put the camera in a fairly warm environment where the humidity is low.  I restore some pretty old vintage electronics gear and sometimes it requires a high impact washing to give it any chance of reliable operation.  When I have to do that, it gets a final rinse with distilled water followed by proper rapid drying.  Fortunately your camera doesn't require such treatment.

In front of a dehumidifier is a good way to provide rapid drying as long as it isn't located in an area where the humidity remains too high.  If you have a dehumidifier in your basement, temporarily move it into a ground floor bedroom and run it there with your camera in the output air stream for a day or so.  Do NOT put the pair in a closet or the dehumidifier will rapidly overheat. 

Or if you have access to desiccant packs, using those in a sealed bag with the camera will rapidly remove the moisture.  I have a bunch of reusable large mil spec packs that change color when saturated, they get baked for reuse.  When traveling with cameras, I also have sealed bags of desiccant with me.  Do NOT use rice or other "youtube" food methods.  These may be fine for cell phones but the dust and potential outgassing that these generate when they absorb moisture is not good for cameras.

This is also another good reason for keeping the body of the camera clean because the salt and oil from your skin being wicked into controls is what causes damage by turning fairly low mineral fresh water into salty water.

And shame on Canon for not providing better weather resistance in all but the very cheapest bodies.  Making something with external controls waterproof for submersion is very expensive, making them robust against splash isn't and it is reasonable to expect it will be exposed to moisture sources.  Standing in the surf and having a surprise wave break over you should reasonably be expected to cause damage, getting splashed by a breaking wave shouldn't.  This problem is made worse with designs that create more heat in the camera body because when hit by water it will be rapidly cooled causing air pressure inside to drop which will be relieved  by bringing air (and moisture) in through the point(s) of least resistance and that is often the shafts around the controls.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have let it dry for 3 days now, but no luck. Everything works perfectly, ..."

I didn't read through all the replies but the best way to dry a wet camera is  warm heating pad, not hot, just warm.

Somebody above did say to not remove the lens, that is totally wrong. Remove any thing that can be removed. Lay just the camera with all openings open on the warm heating pad. No battery no lens no caps noting all open. This can take way longer than three days too. Leave it there undisturbed for a week or more. I know it is instinct to turn on any electrical device when it gets wet just to see if it will still work but that is the worse thing you can do. So, don't turn it on again until it has sit on the heating pad for along while. Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements