cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 Stuck Shutter?

chkrd
Apprentice

Well, my M50 seemed to have given up. My shutter is closed, even when the camera is powered off. When I switch it on, the screen and viewfinder don’t turn on, and there’s a faint pulsing sound like the motor is trying to activate the shutter.

I’m trying to sort out if this is a full shutter failure, or just the motor? I’d love to repair it and get the camera back up and running if at all possible. Any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

It would be hard to say for sure exactly where the failure lies until the camera is opened up by a repair technician, however one thing I would suggest is to make certain that the camera itself is causing the issue. Testing with a second battery is always a good idea, and I definitely recommend checking the camera either with a different lens mounted on it or with no lens at all, just to make sure the lens is not the cause of the issue. 

Otherwise, you can generally get some better idea of the issue after receiving a repair summary, that would indicate what parts were replaced and what adjustments were made to resolve the issue.

Canon Support | Service & Repair | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Announcements