cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M-100 w/ Canon EF=M 15-45mm, lens locked, latch moves but it wont turn past 15mm

sergioecg
Apprentice

Hi there, the camera lens is giving me trouble, the other day after a long time of not using it I tried to unlock the lens and it was kinda stuck, but with patience, it finally unlocked, but I could feel something was not right like something inside the mechanism. Then eventually something kinda clicked and that was it, once I closed and locked the lens it won't go past the halfway mark between the locked position and the 15mm mark.

Took it to a shop and the guy was going to change the zoom ring and rollers and service the focus mech etc, I thought he was overselling the service and told him not to do it. 

Now I am looking forward to seeing if someone here has any experience in something like this, also if some one has any tutorial of sorts on how to disassemble these lenses, I can work on things like this if I had the proper instructions which I am not able to find online.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi sergioecg,

I'm sorry to hear your lens is stuck. For an issue like this we would recommend sending the lens in for repair. 

If you feel comfortable manually repairing the unit yourself, you can order parts from our Parts Order Center. Bear in mind that, due to liability issues, we are unable to provide you instructions on how to conduct repairs. If you purchase a part, you assume the responsibility of replacing it.  For the price and availability of parts, please contact the Parts Order Center directly. They can be reached at (866) 481-2569, from 9 AM to 7 PM (ET) Monday to Friday. Email is not a secure form of communication, so we do not accept payments through email.

If you would rather have us repair the lens, the Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020. 

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

"due to liability issues, we are unable to provide you instructions on how to conduct repairs" yeah right... like I could maybe scratch a nail and sue you? You serious? SO full of it!

So you can sell me parts but I dont know whats broken since I can not dissassemble the lens, then you can also repair it for a gizillions dollars lus shipping, didnt you read my post I have a repair shop that can do it.

Is there anything you can do that does not involve payment to you? Greedy bastards, I already bought your product and it fail me without any wrong done to it. SO if not in warranty you at least should be able to try helping me out without trying to pry more money from me for a product that most likely is your fault it failed in the first place!

Thanks for your capitalistic obsessive behavior.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Sergioecg,

Please be kind to Hazel_T, she's just trying to help.

Canon is happy to sell you repair parts for your camera.  If you know what you need.  US camera might sell a parts or service manual for the m100 and EF-M 15-45mm lens.

Canon is not here to extort money from you. They want you to have a good experience.  

Your camera has a 1-year warranty. If you're within that period you can set a repair up using MyCanon.  Except for shipping, a defect will be repaired free of charge.  Factory service also comes with a 6 month warranty.

Cameras and lenses are delicate and can be very sensitive.  This is probably why Hazel_T recommended factory service.  I would usually recommend this also as Canon technicians have the training and the parts to return your camera to a 100% functioning state.  

I'm not here to dissuade you from performing the repair on your own, but we frequently see posts from people who thought they could repair something and then ended up worse off than where they started from. 

I'd check into both options.  Then decide which you are comfortable with.  If you have other questions let us know.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

APPRECIATE THE KIND WORDS, I AM NEVER UNKIND TO THE PERSON ITSELF AND MORE TO THE CORPORATION BEHIND THEM. Now it is a little sarcastic to claim they don't give tutorials due to liability when simply putting a liability-released statement of sorts in it would make it fine. Anywho... I already disassembled the lens as far as I could and there was a plastic pin piece that drop, I can see where it came from but that did not fix it once reassembled. I am simply in need of instructions to go further ahead into the disassembling, if not then I guess I will just toss it and get a new lens, not my style but well it is what it is.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sorry to hear the issue was not resolved.  Check US Camera for parts and repair information.  

Canon does not provide repair information.  Its not because there is risk of personal injury.  Instead its due to the tools and software that might be needed to repair, disassemble, re-assemble or calibrate a device.  When Canon does a repair, they return the product to factory specifications. 

Getting to the point of needing to discard the lens "toss and get a new one" is what they want to avoid.  Its still a $300 lens that could have been repaired free if under warranty, or likely fixed for less than the cost to replace.  The goal, you would have a functioning camera.  I hope in some way this is helpful and that you find a solution.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements