cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel xTi

johnscel
Contributor

My Rebel is taking blurry pictures.  I have watched several videos and tried to solve the problem but I am not having any luck.  Here are a few that I have recently taken.IMG_6421.jpgIMG_0512.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Do you see how confusing this can be?  All these inner web "experts" can't even come together on how you should start out.

They all have their idea of the correct answer. 

As I suggested just leave the XTi in the P mode.  Take your time to learn how it is working.  Don't mess with the other settings that will only make it more difficult to see what went right and what went wrong. Remember KISS ?

A lot of the time the camera is smarter than the photographer.

The camera records the settings it used to take the photo.  You should look at it.  After a while you will begin to see what works and what doesn't.  But if you don't choose my way and you mess up the settings, you now know how to reset the camera!  Get it back to square one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Do you see how confusing this can be?  All these inner web "experts" can't even come together on how you should start out.

They all have their idea of the correct answer. 

As I suggested just leave the XTi in the P mode.  Take your time to learn how it is working.  Don't mess with the other settings that will only make it more difficult to see what went right and what went wrong. Remember KISS ?

A lot of the time the camera is smarter than the photographer.

The camera records the settings it used to take the photo.  You should look at it.  After a while you will begin to see what works and what doesn't.  But if you don't choose my way and you mess up the settings, you now know how to reset the camera!  Get it back to square one.

I own an XTi, I physically had it in my hands and was checking the settings it used when in Sports 'running man' mode.

There is nothing more KISS then setting it to the Sports scene mode.

Because as another poster pointed out, P Mode, isn't going to set your camera to AIServo, and P Mode wont automatically put your camera in continuous shooting mode. And P Mode wont automatically choose a high enough shutter speed for moving subjects. 

And if you are going to have to do all those settings you might as well shoot in Av mode with f/5.6 (wide open for your lens) and adjust your ISO to keep your shutter speed at or above 1/500  Just remember to set your camera to AIServo, and put your camera in continuous shooting mode

So if you want KISS just use the Sports mode.

And as I suggested if you are confused by all the different advice try one way for a period or portion the game, then try the other way(s) for the remaining portions. Then when you get home, look at the photos and decide what works best for YOU!

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41

I promise not to keep posting pics but you can see that some do fine.  It usually happens when I am using the bigger zoom lenses.  I think I watched too many videos and tried to get "fancy" with my shooting.

I will do the steps you mentioned previously and let you know how it works.  I don't want to buy a new camera if I don't really need too.

Thanks again!IMG_0244.JPG

@johnscel wrote:

I promise not to keep posting pics but you can see that some do fine.  It usually happens when I am using the bigger zoom lenses.  I think I watched too many videos and tried to get "fancy" with my shooting.

I will do the steps you mentioned previously and let you know how it works.  I don't want to buy a new camera if I don't really need too.

Thanks again!

Nice photo.

The XTi really is a great camera, and you're right it is easy to get caught up with internet 'experts' who tell you, you have to do everything on manual.

The biggest draw back with the XTi compared to newer cameras is it has a pretty limited ISO range, and no Auto ISO. For indoor photography like the graduation photo set your ISO to 1600. For outdoor photography ISO 200 will cover most of your needs.

Then I'd recommend shooting in P mode. P mode lets the camera chose the initial settings, but, you can 'get fancy' and increase or decrease the shutter speed with a turn on the main dial. It's really the best place to start when you're not 100% sure of what you are doing. 

"I promise not to keep posting pics but you can see that some do fine."

As long as you want to post beautiful ladies, keep posting! Smiley Happy

Do the reset.  Go out side and try some more shots just like this latest one.  But try different distances.  Use "P" and actually forget the green square is there.  Try your lenses.

I want to point out two things.  All cameras have their limits.  There is going to be situations where it is impossible or impractical to make a good shot.  And second, sometimes the camera is smarter than the photographer.  So, don't be real anxious to get into the other features and settings, ... too quickly.  

EB

SO I did the reset and took pictures outside as you suggested.  What do you know it worked.  All the pictures taken with the 18-55mm lens were GREAT.  Most of the ones I took with 75-300 were not blurry.  The only blurry ones were when I stood far away and zoomed in.  I am guessing the weight of the extended lens had some influence on my not keep the camera steady.  I did buy a tripod to help reduce shake.  So I will be keeping the camera on P and only changing the ISO.  ONE MORE question.  My daughter is a field hockey player.  So should I do the same when shooting games?  or put it on the sports mode?

Thanks again for all the advice!  Wish I had asked back in August 🙂

@johnscel wrote:

SO I did the reset and took pictures outside as you suggested.  What do you know it worked.  All the pictures taken with the 18-55mm lens were GREAT.  Most of the ones I took with 75-300 were not blurry.  The only blurry ones were when I stood far away and zoomed in.  I am guessing the weight of the extended lens had some influence on my not keep the camera steady.  I did buy a tripod to help reduce shake.  So I will be keeping the camera on P and only changing the ISO.  ONE MORE question.  My daughter is a field hockey player.  So should I do the same when shooting games?  or put it on the sports mode?

Great!

I would keep it in "P" mode, because you will learn more about the camera and exposure settings that way. Just observe what settings the camera uses.  Check out this article.  It is the first in a series by the same author.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/laura-morita-guide-to-amazing-photos.shtml

Also, try to set the camera up so that the just the center AF point is always selected.  Don't let the camera choose an AF point for you.  Select the center AF point, because it is the most sensitive out of all of them.

Here's a link to series of video tutorials.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@johnscel wrote:

For field hockey you can use the sports mode. I know others here will say otherwise, but, until you understand what the camera is doing it is the best way to ensure you get some good pictures. 

When shooting in Sports mode, check and see what settings the camera is using, those will be your starting point if you want to gain more control later. 

@TTMartin wrote:

For field hockey you can use the sports mode. I know others here will say otherwise, but, until you understand what the camera is doing it is the best way to ensure you get some good pictures. 

When shooting in Sports mode, check and see what settings the camera is using, those will be your starting point if you want to gain more control later. 

I just checked with my XTi in Sports mode and a nice sunny day, it chose a shutter speed (Tv) of 1/500, Aperture (Av) of f/5.6 and an ISO of 400. And of course it set the camera to AIServo and continuous shooting mode. Those settings are pretty much where you want to be, so no reason to be ashamed of using the 'Running Man'.

On your own, you could shoot in Av mode with f/5.6 (wide open for your lens) and adjust your ISO to keep your shutter speed at or above 1/500 

"My daughter is a field hockey player." 

1.  Try to take your shots from a slightly elevated position, 8-10 feet above the field, if not higher.

2.  Try to keep your shutter speed up to reduce blur from player motion.

3.  Keep the sun at your back as much as possible, and out of the front of lens.  Use a hood!

4.  Practice.  Practice.  Practice.  Attend a practice session, and try to take some shots.

5.  Location.  Locaiton.  Location.  Get elevated, if you can.

6.  Remember to use the just the center AF point.  Use One Shot focus mode.  AI Servo takes practice.

7.  Finally, for now at least, if the weather is bad, don't try to take any shots in the rain.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" My daughter is a field hockey player.  So should I do the same when shooting games?  or put it on the sports mode?"

Well Kido now you are going to get differing ideas of how to shot hockey or anything else for that matter.

As one poster replied suggesting, use P mode. That is correct.  Don't use Sports mode.  Actually there is little reason to ever take the Rebel off P mode. For now!

Those other settings are simply geared to favor either action or static.  In reality the XTi has no idea what you are shooting.  It is best to have as few changing parameters as possible to start with.  Use just the P mode for now and watch, remember what is and has happened.  You can make educated adjustments then.  Make sense?

Professional cameras don't even have those modes on them. No camera I have has them.  That is where you want to be as you learn.  Your best friend right now is P.  Next will come Tv and Av.

Caveat, a case can be made for you to use Av for hockey right now.  Simply select the widest aperture of your lens, say f5.6 and set it in Av.  Let the Rebel do the rest.  This will give you the fastest possible SS that can be had.  In either case, P or Av, set the ISO to 400 or 800.

Most of all remember all camera have their limits.  A lot will depend on how much light you have.   With your gear it may be difficult to impossible to get real sharp grain free pictures.

EB

@johnscel wrote:

My daughter is a field hockey player.  So should I do the same when shooting games?  or put it on the sports mode?

As expected you have gotten conflicting advice. 

So, try one way for a period or portion the game, then try the other way(s) for the remaining portions.

Then when you get home, look at the photo and decide what works best for YOU!

Announcements