cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D problem with exposure level Manual

atom182
Apprentice

Hi there,

Recently i bought an old camera to learn about photography, i saw one of the best options is the Canon EOS Rebel XSi 450D. I saw different tutorials but when i select the manual configuration, my exposure level always stay in -2, even when i select the ISO 400, shutter speed 1/1000 and the aperture f11 the exposure never grow up, always stay in -2 and the photo show very dark. i hope some one could explain me what is the problem.

Thanks and regards everyone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

atom182,

For a little while, put your camera in P mode. Go outside and take some pictures. Take note, or jot down what your camera has selected for its settings.Take some pictures in bright sunshine and some in shady areas.

That will give you a better idea of how your camera handles exposures in various situations.

A shutter speed pf 1/1000 combined with a small aperture like f/11 will result in dark pictures, especially if you are in a dark or dimly lit situation.

Have you accidentally by chance, set your exposure compensation to -2?

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

To tell you what is wrong we would need to know what you were shooting.

To play with manual, start with the "sunny sixteen" rule. Go out on a sunny day and try an exposure of f/16, an ISO of 100 and a shutter speed of 1/100th or 1/125th  of a second. Aim at a generic subject like a tree.

Move the shutter speed up and down. Does the exposure move?

Hi there, 
i went out to take a photo, today is a sunny day and i moved all the options that you said. yeah, the exposure moves a little. when aimed at the tree, it takes the -2 value and when aimed at the blue sky, it moves to a little less -1. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Is it possible your exposure compensation is set to -2? 
Refer to P 78 of the User Manual 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

atom182,

For a little while, put your camera in P mode. Go outside and take some pictures. Take note, or jot down what your camera has selected for its settings.Take some pictures in bright sunshine and some in shady areas.

That will give you a better idea of how your camera handles exposures in various situations.

A shutter speed pf 1/1000 combined with a small aperture like f/11 will result in dark pictures, especially if you are in a dark or dimly lit situation.

Have you accidentally by chance, set your exposure compensation to -2?

Steve Thomas

i didn't set the exposure compensation to -2, i tried to reset the factory camera because i guess the old owner set these settings wrong. but even with this reset change the problem.

i put the camera in P mode and adjust perfect, i guess i need to lear a lot. thanks for your help

atom182,

You're welcome. I hope you have many wonderful experiences in your photographic journey.

Steve Thomas

Ps: Normadel also suggested using P mode for a while. Thank him too and all the others who offered their help.

normadel
Authority
Authority

-2 is an exposure compensation amount, which is meaningless in Manual Mode. 

Set camera in P(rogram) Mode and the ISO on Auto. Let the camera do the work preliminarily and see if you get good exposures.

DO YOU HAVE THE CANON MANUAL? View it and download it from Canon Support. It is immensely helpful in learning to use your camera. It is at the end of the download list:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-xsi

You may even find the original printed copy for purchase on Ebay or from UsedPhotoPro.com.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

On the rebels, the exposure compensation reading and the exposure meter does double duty. So in M mode a reading of -2 (2 stops below the "correct" exposure) will indeed be a dark image.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements