cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (200D) Won't Turn on

Aklimbrick
Apprentice

I have 2 Canon SL2s a black version and a white version. About 5 months ago they both stopped turning on, at the same time. When I flipped on both their power switches, there would be a static noise buzzing from their speakers but the screen wouldn't turn on, nor would the red start up light flash on the bottom right hand of the cameras.

I looked up a possible solutions on Youtube, and they suggested to leave the camera turned on without a battery inside and a new memory card for a couple days, in order to "reset" it, but that hasn't worked.

Fast forward to last weekend, I haven't given up hope, so I charge new batteries and try to turn them on again. No luck.

But today I check the cameras memory cards and inside my black camera, my memory card has melted.

I am completely, and utterly confused and I'm desperately seeking help.

17111878595665614821609418058775.jpg

17111878966453124441065727073168.jpg

17111877921753132256187141939606.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Remove any lens, memory card, and accessories. Test them again. Those micro-SD cards should never be used.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Should I retest using the same 3rd party batteries? I think I have an actual canon battery in my back back at work, but its gonna be a few days before I go back in to grab it.

I wouldn't. 

If your memory card adapter & the micro SD card are both Genuine SanDisk cards, and the only "unknown" brand in the equation is your battery, then it's the most likely culprit in causing the malfunction. In my 15 years at Canon, I've never seen a memory card melt, but I have seen the remnants of cameras that have caught on fire or chargers that have caught on fire from using sketchy batteries. I've even heard of housefires from them! 😬

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Seems awfully strange that both cameras would stop working at the same time.  That would most likely indicate a power problem.  The melted memory card looks like an overheating issue.  This sort of thing can happen when you use 3rd party batteries or chargers.  Maybe a battery was damaged.  

Please only use full size memory card as @Waddizzle mentioned.  I am not real hopeful for the body that had the melted card.  If it does work again, and I hope it does, consider yourself lucky.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I apologize, but the first paragraph is a little unclear to me. I do use 3rd party batteries. Do you think that the power issue is causing the overheating issue (or vice versa)? Or are they 2 separate problems? If they are separate issues? Would getting new batteries be a potential solution? I ask because these batteries are about 4 years old now.

Also, my white camera had a full sized memory card in it, could that be the reason (or a contributing reason) for why it didn't melt form the heat? 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  Seems awfully strange that both cameras would stop working at the same time.  That would most likely indicate a power problem.  The melted memory card looks like an overheating issue.  This sort of thing can happen when you use 3rd party batteries or chargers.  Maybe a battery was damaged.  “

I agree that it is a little strange for both cameras to be damaged at the same time.  It would not be so strange if both cameras were being used at the same time.  There is far more to it that what has be stated.  

Judging by the presence of a video game controller, I think live streaming is one possible scenario.  Using third party battery eliminators could explain the melted memory card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

“  Seems awfully strange that both cameras would stop working at the same time.  That would most likely indicate a power problem.  The melted memory card looks like an overheating issue.  This sort of thing can happen when you use 3rd party batteries or chargers.  Maybe a battery was damaged.  “

I agree that it is a little strange for both cameras to be damaged at the same time.  It would not be so strange if both cameras were being used at the same time.  There is far more to it that what has be stated.  

Judging by the presence of a video game controller, I think live streaming is one possible scenario.  Using third party battery eliminators could explain the melted memory card.

Agree. Incomplete information.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I 'd like rule out live streaming, for the time being, the last time I live streamed was 2 years and some change ago. I also only used the white camera to livestream (with 3rd party battery eliminator), but the black camera was the one that melted the memory card. My black camera has only been a photography and videography camera, and since my last livestream, I've used both for photography since then.

One thing both cameras do have in common is using 3rd party batteries. So I do think its more likely that a batteries were damaged. Are there any ways to visually tell if a battery is damaged? I'll add pictures of the batteries I'm using. But from examining them now, I don't notice any bloating or damage to the connecting pins. Also, what are ways they could have been damaged? The only thing I can think of, is for the past year they have been sitting idle in my room. 5 months ago was the first time in a while I had a need to use them, and I came to find them both not working.

batteries 2.jpeg

batteries.jpeg

two camera bodies and memery cards and batteries.jpeg

Something of note, my white camera had a full sized memory card in it, could that be the reason (or a contributing reason) for why it didn't melt form the heat? Also have you seen other cases where this has happened to other micro-sd memory cards?

memery card in tact.jpeg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"One thing both cameras do have in common is using 3rd party batteries."

I have to agree with Stephan as I have seen several problems that have been caused by off brand batteries. Most seem to be OK  and run without issue. However ever so often you run into a really bad one as I suspect among other things QC is lacking. I don't find it odd both cameras went south at the same or nearly the same time if both were used similarly and used the same off brand batteries. The camera with the melted SD has a short probably caused from an over heated battery. It took some high voltage to do that.

The problem now is I doubt either is repairable as cost is unlikely to be less then the cost of a good working used SL2.

"they suggested to leave the camera turned on without a battery inside and a new memory card for a couple days, in order to "reset" it, but that hasn't worked."

That was nonsense as you found out.

"But from examining them now, I don't notice any bloating or damage to the connecting pins."

You are not going to see internal damage caused by a malfunctioning battery. The melted SD is an abnormally.

"my white camera had a full sized memory card in it, could that be the reason (or a contributing reason) for why it didn't melt form the heat?"

No. It more likely suffered different damage probably on the main board.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements