cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M50 external Monitor options?

hook1169
Apprentice

Hello,

I wanted to record some tutorial videos with my M50 and it is kinda hard to make sure that the shot is set how I like it as the screen is so small and to see if what i want is in focus is often hard and I have to do several test shoots to make sure everything in frame that i want in focus is in focus and the blur is how i want it.

With that said, can I use my M2 Macbook Pro as an external monitor? I have set it up using wireless after tracking down an EOS 3 utility in Canada site since there is not a current EOS 3 utility for Ventura in the america download section, but HOLY COW is it blurry and slow to track. I simply want to be able to see what the camera sees on a bigger screen. I could buy an external 7" screen for $100+ bucks but thought I might be able to make my Mac work.

I was thinking of just trying a micro HDMI to standard HDMI and then connect to the Macbook with a USB C to HDMI converter? But I saw on a reddit forum (that i cannot find now) that a person was not successful doing this.

Any advice on how to see the frame and shot better while doing video? Or should I simply by a small form monitor and a stand and go that route?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings hook1169,

I can understand the benefit of using a larger display to guide you when recording videos. The MacBook Pro may not be used as a secondary monitor since its display terminals provide an output signal only and do not receive an input signal from other devices. This is similar to the EOS M50 camera to where the camera's HDMI terminal provides an output signal only.

We would need to use a display that receives an input signal. I would recommend on using a television or stand-alone computer monitor that has an HDMI port.

Wireless connections between the camera and a device may have lag due to the available bandwidth from the camera and wireless devices. A USB cable can be used with the EOS Utility software but please note that though less minimal, there may still be a slight lag between what the camera sees and what is displayed in the software.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings hook1169,

I can understand the benefit of using a larger display to guide you when recording videos. The MacBook Pro may not be used as a secondary monitor since its display terminals provide an output signal only and do not receive an input signal from other devices. This is similar to the EOS M50 camera to where the camera's HDMI terminal provides an output signal only.

We would need to use a display that receives an input signal. I would recommend on using a television or stand-alone computer monitor that has an HDMI port.

Wireless connections between the camera and a device may have lag due to the available bandwidth from the camera and wireless devices. A USB cable can be used with the EOS Utility software but please note that though less minimal, there may still be a slight lag between what the camera sees and what is displayed in the software.

Thank you very much. I am going to try the EOS utility with the USB cable. I don't necessarily need live 'perfect' tracking, but a little less lag would be extra nice.

Thanks again!

Announcements