cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 7D Mark II vs 80D - Body only

yoda1489
Apprentice

I have a very old XTi and the cost to fix it is almost the cost of a new camera. I am trying to decide between the 7D Mark II or the 80D. I have a TON of lenses that have followed me over the years, inculding infrared, macro, and telephoto. Have the cables for manual shutter release and connecting camera to computer (MacBook Air). Also, multiple hoods, flashes, diffusers, etc. I am also looking at buying the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.

I shoot mainly landscape, macro, and night sky

I take photo's for business. I go to locations that are hard to get to (I use 4x4) and mark the GPS location for the photo's. I then print it on the photo's I sell. I like that the 80D has a built in GPS and the screen comes out.

Anyone have any opions on one or the other? I have the budget for either body.

Thanks!

Anjuli

21 REPLIES 21

diverhank
Authority

For what you do - landscape, macro and night sky I think the 80D is a better choice.  

Both the 80D and the 7DII have built-in GPS.

For 80D:

1. The 80D being newer has a newer sensor with better performance than the older 7DII.

2. The 80D also has an articulating screen plus touchscreen.  They might come in handy when you need to get really close to the ground for landscape.

3. Quite a bit cheaper if you buy either one (80D or 7DII) brand new.

For 7DII:

1. Faster frame rate 10fps versus 7

2. Better AF for action/sports/BIF - actual reports had the 80D falling way short compared to the 7DII

3. 7DII build is a lot more robust

4. Dual card slot

I might have missed a few things on either one but the above should cover most main points.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

For what you do - landscape, macro and night sky I think the 80D is a better choice.  

Both the 80D and the 7DII have built-in GPS.

For 80D:

1. The 80D being newer has a newer sensor with better performance than the older 7DII.

2. The 80D also has an articulating screen plus touchscreen.  They might come in handy when you need to get really close to the ground for landscape.

3. Quite a bit cheaper if you buy either one (80D or 7DII) brand new.

For 7DII:

1. Faster frame rate 10fps versus 7

2. Better AF for action/sports/BIF - actual reports had the 80D falling way short compared to the 7DII

3. 7DII build is a lot more robust

4. Dual card slot

I might have missed a few things on either one but the above should cover most main points.

One notable difference to mention is the build quality.  The 7DII is built like a tank, compared to the 80D.  But, that doesn't mean the 7DII is either waterproof or dustproof.  It's just better sealed up, and has a stronger frame.  Both cameras need to be treated just as carefully in bad conditions.

Another notable difference, and this is probably the deal maker or breaker, is GPS and Wi-Fi.  The 7DII has built-in GPS, while the 80D has built-in Wi-Fi.  Neither built-in GPS or built-in Wi-Fi is something to write home about.  The built-in GPS can be a serious drain on the battery life.  The Wi-Fi functions more like wireless Bluetooth than a wireless laptop, which means you should not assume that it is networkable.  Buy the Canon Wi-Fi Transmitter, if you want a networkable camera.  You will have limited wireless communication ability with the built-in version.  Buy the GPS module if you do not want the drain on the camera battery.

I have a 6D, which has both, and I hardly use either one of them.  The GPS is the more useful of the two for me.  I might turn GPS on to tag my first couple of shots, and then disable it.  I can copy the GPS info later in post to the rest of the shots.  I have yet to use the Wi-Fi, although i keep telling myself to tether it to my tablet someday.  Wireless file transferring is slow compared to USB, or a card reader.

Actually, I have been looking to buy one of these two cameras for my son and his wife, as an upgrade to their T5.  I have all but decided on the 80D.  They seem to have figured out the Canon Wi-Fi fairly well with their Vixia camcorder, and love it.  They have iPhones, which have GPS tagging of photos, and neither one of them knew it.  That's how useful it is to the average consumer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/7d-mark-ii/vs/canon/80d/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi,

None of the enhanced things about 7d2 seem to address any of your uses. None of the things you shoot require fast autofocus. The extra durability is perhaps nice but unless you have weathersealed lenses you don't really get the benefit of a weathersealed body.   Frame rate is a non-issue for your uses. 

Money better spent on glass. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You can read the spec sheet as well as I can.  But for me there is no question here, I would go 7D Mk II in a heartbeat and never look back.

All the xxD series cameras designs are tilted towards consumers.  The xD series is more aimed toward pro shooters.  Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You can read the spec sheet as well as I can.  But for me there is no question here, I would go 7D Mk II in a heartbeat and never look back.

All the xxD series cameras designs are tilted towards consumers.  The xD series is more aimed toward pro shooters.  Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

Right, me, too.  I would pick the 7DII over the 80D.  But, the best fit seems to be the 80D.  My son and his wife, most especially his wife, are most definitely consumers.  Besides, they are in to video, too.  The 80D has a time lapse video feature.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Right, me, too.  I would pick the 7DII over the 80D.  But, the best fit seems to be the 80D.  My son and his wife, most especially his wife, are most definitely consumers.  Besides, they are in to video, too.  The 80D has a time lapse video feature.

Well, the OP did indicate that he's at least a semi-professional (although he also said he liked some specific features of the 80D). Maybe that could/should tip the balance toward the 7D2? Or maybe it just makes the decision harder. He'd probably be happy with either camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

[deleted]

Well, the OP did indicate that he's at least a semi-professional (although he also said he liked some specific features of the 80D). Maybe that could/should tip the balance toward the 7D2? Or maybe it just makes the decision harder. He'd probably be happy with either camera.

Yes, the OP did indicate something like that, and I agreed with Ernie.  However, I was referring to my son and his wife, when I mentioned the 80D being the better choice.  I was woolgathering.

B from B,

The fact is any modern DSLR makes darn good photos.  It is rather fool hearty to nit-pick them apart.  But, I guess, that is the fun of it.

In the professional world, my world, it is far different.  Gear is bought on a, will it make me more money, basis. Not the fact one has a 20MP sensor and the other has a 24MP sensor.

I helped a local, major newspaper, photographer do a story on musical instrument repair, she was still using a 40D !  I asked if she would like to use my Mk IV and she declined.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements