cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 7D Battery Problem

Dexter33
Apprentice

Eversince I purchased my camera, I have to take my battery out everytime I have finished using it, otherwise my fully charged battery drains out, completely. I do notice when I leave my battery in my camera, the top LCD always shows GPS and LOG and I don't know whether this is causing battery drainage?

I do not use back LCD display to view what I am shooting, only the odd time to view a captured image. I very rarely use flash also and my battery is fully charged and at maximum, only lasts one day. I have a couple of spare batteries and this issue happens on with them all. 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The 7D doesn't have built in GPS.  GPS is supported via an optional accessory.  Can you confirm the model of your body and if you have this accessory?

If your device or optional accessory has a "mode2" option, thats the one you want.  It turns GPS off when the camera is turned off.

In "mode1" GPS remains on and periodically checks for Geo location even when the camera is off = drains battery.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The 7D doesn't have built in GPS."

I had two 7D's and neither drained the battery faster than the average camera. In fact the 7D is pretty conservative with battery power.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dexter33
Apprentice
It is Mark II model and on specification list, it does indeed show it has GPS. I have WiFi SD Card as an additional extra.

I will indeed try mode2, thank you.

" I have WiFi SD Card as an additional extra."

Whether this has anything to do with faster battery drain or not, you need to ditch it.  They are poor at best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Dexter33 wrote:
It is Mark II model and on specification list, it does indeed show it has GPS. I have WiFi SD Card as an additional extra.

If you are not using the Wi-Fi, you should put the camera in USB mode.  However, it is best to not use the Wi-Fi card because it is pretty slow when it comes to data transfers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Dexter33 wrote:

Thanks for confirming the model "MKII"

Mode2 should resolve the behavior if thats the actual issue.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Dexter33
Apprentice
How would I put it into this mode shadowsports?

@Dexter33 wrote:
How would I put it into this mode shadowsports?

Your camera does not have that option.  Turn off the GPS when you are not using the camera.  I keep it turned off most of the time, because most of my shots in a shooting session are in the same general area.  

For example, if I am shooting a soccer game, then I do not need the battery drain of the GPS being enabled for the entire game.  I may take a few test shots with the GPS enabled just to capture the location data when I first arrive, and then turn it off.  I can copy the GPS data to the rest of the photos in post.

Again, if you are not using the Wi-Fi, then set the camera to USB mode.  In fact, it would be best to simply remove the Wi-Fi card from the camera.  The Canon supplied card has a number of limitations, which make the card not very useful.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your advice.

Announcements