cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 77D Error 50 bent pins?

jgs816
Contributor

I am getting an error 50 on the screen whenever I try to use the flash. 

Is the first pin bent in the battery compartment? Could this be the cause? unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jgs816
Contributor

Just an update guys. I purchased an external flash as suggested above. This has solved my problem. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try carefully straightening the pin and see if it fixes the issue.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with 5DIV.  Nothing to lose there.  Long small flathead screwdriver very gently and carefully.  

How old is the battery you are using?  An older battery might not be able to deliver reliable power consistently.  The flash might be exacerbating this?  

But I'd still try to straighten the pin too. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have gently tried to bend it, but it bounces right back into this position.

I just wasn't sure if I should continue trying if this is how it is suppose to look. 

I am using the original battery that came with it in the box. 

I guess I could try a new battery. It does die very easily even when Im not using the flash.

A curved jaw hemostat is the best tool for putting this spring contact back into its proper form.  You will need to examine closely where the unwanted bend is and then get a good locked grip on the piece on the free floating end slightly beyond the bend.

There is a little tolerance for misalignment so get it close but it doesn't have to end up perfectly set.  This means you will have to bend it slightly beyond the desired endpoint so that when it springs back some it will be in or close to the original position.

Realize as you do this that part of this spring contact has been tightly bent when it went into the wrong position which creates fatigue so there is a substantial chance that attempting to repair so that you can use the flash COULD cause you to wind up with a completely non-functional camera requiring replacement of that contact which could cost a lot respective to the camera value.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the tool suggestion. I have tried to bend with small pliers, but it just keeps bouncing right back to this position. I agree, I am worried about fatigue so I wont attempt it anymore.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@jgs816 wrote:

I am getting an error 50 on the screen whenever I try to use the flash. 

Is the first pin bent in the battery compartment? Could this be the cause? unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

Based on what I see in the battery compartment of my wife's T6s the left contact should look just like the right contact. looks like it needs to be twisted counter-clockwise a little and then moved up. The electrical conductor is at the bottom, so that seems to be bent as well.Maybe a long narrow needlenose plier could work. Was there a battery grip on the camera that maybe caught and pullled the contact when being removed?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for comparing it to your wifes camera. I wasn't sure it this was unusual or not. I've never used a battery grip. I've only put the battery in by hand, that's why I was surprised this has bent. I will have to try with the pliers and pray.

Is there a problem with the contact on the battery? The battery is such a well constrained fit I can’t see a “good” battery twisting the contact. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The battery still powers the camera and works without the flash. I have no idea how it got twisted. I I only used the standard battery that came in the box.

Announcements