cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 77D Error 50 bent pins?

jgs816
Contributor

I am getting an error 50 on the screen whenever I try to use the flash. 

Is the first pin bent in the battery compartment? Could this be the cause? unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jgs816
Contributor

Just an update guys. I purchased an external flash as suggested above. This has solved my problem. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have to agree with Rodger that you run the risk of the battery contact breaking off do to fatigue from being bent a couple times. I have done this kind of repair a few times in the past and found about a 50-50 average. I have also found that jewelers pilers is the best tool for this fix. I never thought of a hemostat but it could work too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The ERROR 50 message probably has nothing to do with the bent pin. 

I would stop trying to fix it. The damaged pin is one of the main + - battery contacts. If the camera is working, it means the battery is connected and the power is reaching the camera just fine. Trying to adjust the pin can cause it to break and render your camera useless. 

The error is probably related to your pop up flash. Try using an external flash to see if you still have the same error message. 

Mike Sowsun

Would the external flash draw power from the camera battery or does it have its own power supply? I may try an external flash.

External flash has its own power supply. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Does the 77D have the switch in the hot shoe that detects the presence of an auxiliary flash or other accessory installed in the shoe? Is the switch possibly stuck in the down position or is there any debris in the channel where the flash mounts?

jgs816
Contributor

Just an update guys. I purchased an external flash as suggested above. This has solved my problem. Thanks for your help.

Announcements