cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 70D giving garbeled photos

RichV
Apprentice

My new Canon EOS 70D is giving didital garbeled photos. This happens for ~1/20 photos I've taken. Odd thing about this the preview just after taking a "bad" shot looked OK/normal only after reviewing later on the camera or downloading did the distorted image appear.  Oddly if I save a bad pic to my desktop the thumbnail icon photo looks OK

Photo details: 5472 x 3648 pix jpeg

Before I contact Canon is this a know problem with a simple fix?

AZ 9-2015 050 (1280x853).jpg

AZ 9-2015 142 (1280x853).jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Peter
Authority
Authority
Low level format your sd card and change your way to transfer your pictures from the camera to the computer. If the pictures look good in the camera and you can zoom it in the problem is in the transferring process.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Peter
Authority
Authority
Low level format your sd card and change your way to transfer your pictures from the camera to the computer. If the pictures look good in the camera and you can zoom it in the problem is in the transferring process.

Peter

The bad photos either look bad when viewed on the camera or they show only a thumbnail with the message "cannot playback image" in the camera display.

This is not a data transfer issue, it's a camera/card issue.

Should I try to reformat the card?

Thanks

Sounds like a card issue.  Try reformatting the card in the menu on the camera, not with the computer.  Try another card if that doesn't help, but remember to first format the new card in the camera with the menu.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"This is not a data transfer issue, it's a camera/card issue."

You are correct it is not.

"Should I try to reformat the card?"

I would get a new high quality SD (Lexar, Sandisk, etc) card and format it in the camera.  Try again to see if everything is OK.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did a low level format on the card and then took ~ 50 photos. All look OK, no digital artifacts/scrambeling. Looks like this worked.

Thanks all for your help

Rich

Peter
Authority
Authority
So then you will need to do as ScottyP wrote. Don't forget to low level format. Not just format. If I understand it correct, a low level format in the camera removes/hides the bad sectors at the card.
Announcements