cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 100D Not turning on with an sd in

L3apr
Contributor

The camera turns on without an sd in and when i use the sd the screen stays blank with no sounds from the shutter moving 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is also a switch in the camera that senses thew card. If that is malfunctioning the camera won't know a card is installed. But it should give you a "No card" message on the LCD.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you using a full size SD card?

Yes

What size card?  If it is SDXC, 64 GB or higher, then "might" explain your problem.  Despite what specs say, I have had trouble with T5, EOS 1200D, recognizing new SDXC cards until I format them in my computer, then reformat them in the camera.

Also, you could have a defective card.  Buy a new card, 32GB or less.  Stick to name brands like Sandisk or Lexar.  Beware of bargain deals on the internet.  Buy a card from a local retailer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

4 gigs (for testing) SDHC CLASS 4

TEMPORARILY set the camera to allow shooting without a card installed. Remove the card. Set camera to Program (P) mode. Does the shutter fire?

Capture.JPG

Let us know what happens. Switch the setting back to "Disable". You don't want to take a bunch of photos without any "film" in the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

TEMPORARILY set the camera to allow shooting without a card installed. Remove the card. Set camera to Program (P) mode. Does the shutter fire?

Capture.JPG

Let us know what happens. Switch the setting back to "Disable". You don't want to take a bunch of photos without any "film" in the camera.

It fires,it works normally as it should

@Waddizzle wrote:

What size card?  If it is SDXC, 64 GB or higher, then "might" explain your problem.  Despite what specs say, I have had trouble with T5, EOS 1200D, recognizing new SDXC cards until I format them in my computer, then reformat them in the camera.

Also, you could have a defective card.  Buy a new card, 32GB or less.  Stick to name brands like Sandisk or Lexar.  Beware of bargain deals on the internet.  Buy a card from a local retailer.

Maybe a factory reset will do something?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It must be a problem with your card. Try formatting in computer and then format in camera. Be sure the lock isn't on.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
It must be a problem with your card. Try formatting in computer and then format in camera. Be sure the lock isn't on.

I tried,even with a 16 gig card,tried fat 32 and fat,still nothing

Announcements