cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D: turns off with SD card inserted

Jnosbisch
Apprentice

During a shoot a week ago, my 90D shut down. I checked/changed the battery, and checked the SD card inside, with no change. I removed the SD card and the camera turned on without an issue. I’ve since tried a few different cards, with no change in function. Tried cleaning the insert compartment, not sure what else there is to do at this point? 

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Can you look into the memory card slot to see if any of the pins are bent? I suspect there is a short in the camera when a card is inserted.

May need to contact Canon support to schedule a repair.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Also, double-checking here, but are you using full-sized SD cards? Micro-sized cards with adapters can be problematic.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Checked in the slot, didn’t see any bent pins or dirt. Also tried both standard sd card and a micro with an adapter, no change. Thanks for the suggestions though! 

@Jnosbisch wrote:

Checked in the slot, didn’t see any bent pins or dirt. Also tried both standard sd card and a micro with an adapter, no change. Thanks for the suggestions though! 

The micro-SD cards are [NOT] recommended for use in the camera.  The adapters tend to fail and cause the camera to malfunction.

But, you are reporting that your camera shuts off when you insert an SD card into the slot and close the door.  Let’s try a quick, unscientific test of the card slot electronics.  

What happens if you insert an empty micro-SD card adapter without a memory card inside of it?  Let’s see if this result points to an electronic problem or a mechanical issue of some kind.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements