cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D optical viewfinder not capturing exposure when using strobes. The LCD screen works great.

WillAvon
Apprentice

Hi there, the title says it all. I am a new owner of the Canon 90D. Had my old Rebel T2i for 14.5 years and wanted to finally upgrade to a professional camera. I am taking portraits and when I use my flash/strobes, the LCD is the only way I can properly capture the exposure. When I use the optical viewfinder without changing any of the settings of the camera or strobes, the image is almost completely dark. Is this a common issue and if so, what is the fix? Do I have to adjust the settings for the optical viewfinder? Please help and I appreciate it!

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What strobes/ flash system are you using.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The optical viewfinder will only show you the ambient light in the current scene.

It shouldn't matter if you're using the viewfinder or live view though in terms of what the camera would capture as an image.

Can you post some examples?  Are you sure the flash always fired?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements