cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d worse than Canon rebel t3i

yteln
Contributor

Hi,

I just got a brand new Canon 80D and took some test shots on the exact same settings as my old T3i (f/stop, shutter speed, ISO but also all the other settings I could manually set.. white balance, focus mode, exposure comp, flash exposure comp, image effects, auto correct image brightness off, one shot AF, metering mode, etc.). Also swapped the lense so that it was the same on both.I set both cameras to take L + raw and am comparing jpegs. 

I'd expect 80d win this comparison but t3i produced much nicer, brighter images. Even when looking at just LCD screen I could immediately tell that t3i photos are brighter and better looking, but then downloaded it on PC and confirmed that as well.

How's that possible? Either I'm missing something or my new 80d doesn't function properly since it's obviously a much better camera and with the same settings should produce superior images.

Any ideas what I may be missing, any hidden setting which might be causing it or is there anything I can do to figure it out?

Regards

35 REPLIES 35

yteln
Contributor

Sure, you can see a comparison here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/161b7JrLDXR5ed7yS6oUAWu_4RyMIK1fj?usp=sharing 

I was focusing on bananas, 3 bottles of water and a guittar respectively. E.g. if you look at bananas t3i is clearly sharper. Of course there are also some photos where 80d wins (not by much) but overall I'd say it's a draw or the difference is tiny on CR2. On jpg imo t3i looks better even on big screen and definitely better on LCD of the camera. I understand this might be subjective, but I was expecting a bit more from the camera 3x the price of t3i so that's why I'm a tiny bit disappointed.

" I understand this might be subjective, but I was expecting a bit more from the camera 3x the price of t3i so that's why I'm a tiny bit disappointed."

If you expected a 3 times better photo you are going to be very disappointed.  Every time! Improvements in DSLR tech is already advanced to where improvements come in slight to very slight increments.

I looked at a few of your samples.

"...jpg imo t3i looks better even on big screen and definitely better on LCD of the camera."

This you can not do. Smiley Frustrated The LCD may be set brighter and it is the LCD you like better, not the photo. Same for your monitor.  Keep in mind you can not view a Raw file. It has to be converted.  How you do that and by which converter you use can affect the resulting jpg by a lot. Conversely, when you shoot in jpg your camera converts the Raw file in its conversion routine.  I think you are confusing "brighter" with "sharper".  It is a common mistake most people make.

I would encourage you to do some research on post editing as it could be how you are doing it.  The ability to edit in Raw far exceeds what can be done with a camera converted jpg.  The 80D has very much more room to do these adjustments over an  T3i.

Besides the IQ improvements in the 80D keep in mind how many other features it has like wi-fi that cause a price increase but has nothing to do with IQ.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@yteln wrote:

Sure, you can see a comparison here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/161b7JrLDXR5ed7yS6oUAWu_4RyMIK1fj?usp=sharing 

I was focusing on bananas, 3 bottles of water and a guittar respectively. E.g. if you look at bananas t3i is clearly sharper. Of course there are also some photos where 80d wins (not by much) but overall I'd say it's a draw or the difference is tiny on CR2. On jpg imo t3i looks better even on big screen and definitely better on LCD of the camera. I understand this might be subjective, but I was expecting a bit more from the camera 3x the price of t3i so that's why I'm a tiny bit disappointed.

If you lift the shadows in a raw converter you will see that 80D has much less colour noise than t3i has. 0095.CR2 vs 1044.CR2.

About focus it seems like 80D and your lens are front focusing (Micro adjust it later). You should start with Live view. Then 80D and t3i will set AF without issues in Live view. Is it an old Sigma lens or Tamron lens?

The image below shows dynamic range 80D (IMG_0097.CR2) vs t3i (IMG_1046.CR2).

DR.jpg

"If you lift the shadows in a raw converter you will see that 80D has much less colour..."

Of course, I believe the OP doesn't realize this. The Raw file has to be edited in post to a degree he/she thinks is right. The cr2 that the OP is using as a comparison is a jpg generated thumbnail from the Raw data.  It isn't a final product!

I asked for permission to d/l one or two of their Raw files to do the post myself in PS. I have not received that yet.

When a camera is set to record jpg it does so with all the in camera settings, picture style, etc.  A Raw file does not and is not effected by those. An 80D cr2 is going to have far more latitude than a T3i does.  But even that is not to say a T3i photo can look very good. It can.

EB

Thank you all who chimed in, this is very helpful.

Yes feel free to download the raw files and please lmk your findings. 
Regarding the lens - it's yongnuo 50mm f2, not the greatest but it's just for comparison.

OK I apologise right up front but remember you asked!

There is no lens correction in PS for a "yongnuo 50mm f2" lens.  It is junk. Get rid of it.

I d/l the first two of the guitar photos from each camera, The 80D and the T3i.  I stopped right there because both are so far out of focus to be unusable. Or the lens is so bad as to be unusable. There is absolutely no way to compare these shots.

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1042 crop.jpg

For any meaningful results form either camera you need to get a decent lens.  Even the cheapest kit lens will do better than what you have. A best buy lens you might want to consider is the ef 50mm f1.8. At any rate shown is an example of the corrected editing in PS of one shot.  Other than extreme OOF you can see it is a pretty nice photo.

EB

Thanks for taking the time to post those RAW conversions Ernie, that tells the story. 

I have found that a properly focused image from the Kodak DC-290 compact I bought to take to Cuba in 1999 looks better than an OOF image from my  Canon 1DX 2 and EF-200 F2.0 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"I have found that a properly focused image from the Kodak DC-290 compact I bought to take to Cuba in 1999 looks better than an OOF image from my  Canon 1DX 2 and EF-200 F2.0"

One thing LR/PS won't correct or fix is OOF. Oh, yeah, they have attempts but still pretty bad. Bad is bad usually and sometimes you can't fix it.  I did not d/l any of the others because I saw these two as a waste of time.  My PS/LR doesn't have lens correction for the lens used but I can't see it helping anyway.

Anyway happy holidays!  Smiley Happy

EB

We got 9 inches of snow. I ain't going outside unless I absolutely have to. Can you tell?  Smiley Very Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

We got 9 inches of snow. I ain't going outside unless I absolutely have to. Can you tell?  Smiley Very Happy

You should be out capturing a snow scene for your town's 2021 Community Calendar.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements