cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D Pink flashing problem

Timberr
Contributor

Hi folks

Anyone seen this issue before? Just started on my 70D the other day, very sporadic but incredibly annoying. I thought it was just flashes but it effects all the black in the shot as shown on this raw file I uploaded to Vimeo. The flashing happens on the screen when recording and is on the file which woudl tend to rule out purely a screen problem. Cant seem to find too many answers online so far.

https://vimeo.com/222956386

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Tim

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How many photographers were present using a flash?  It looks to me like you're seeing the flash of other photographers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzie

Thanks for your reply.

There was only one photographer and he wasnt using flash, or anywhere near me at the time I dont think. The pink/red fleks are constant throughout the clip tho so I dont think it would be somwthing like a flash setting off the pink flashing. On files where there is no pink flashing the black tones and shadows are clear.

Cheers

Tim

Timberr,

The guy in the video has a large flash on his camera.  There is a filter on it, and really appears to fire, and it when it does, everyone flashes pink.  Some cell phones try to "flash", too.

Is that the only footage where you have had this problem?

Haha right enough, there's that photgrapher, what an idiot, sorry, my mistake. However, its happening a llot more than just on that one shot and it happens multiple times in each shot, one is so bad it is almost nothing but pink lines and freezes the image. Im convinced its not caused by the flash as Ive been in situations where there has been lots of flashes going off and its not caused this effect, and the flash woudlnt explain the constant interference in the black areas throughout the clip.

Here's another clip which is the worst its been but bears all the same hallmarks.....

https://vimeo.com/222962170

Cheers

Tim

Ew.  Pink streaks.  Ugly.  What happens when you take stills?  It looks like a failing image sensor to me. 

The camera should shut itself down if the image sensor were overheating.  But, it should also flash warning icons when it is close to shutting down, though.

Yeah its nasty isnt it! I was worried about the potential for it being something to do with the image sensor. Stills are fine with it, Ive had no problem at all with them..so far, fingers crossed! Only when shooting video and only the last 2 shoots

@Timberr wrote:

Yeah its nasty isnt it! I was worried about the potential for it being something to do with the image sensor. Stills are fine with it, Ive had no problem at all with them..so far, fingers crossed! Only when shooting video and only the last 2 shoots

Check your manual to see what the overheating icons look like.  The icons should also flash when shutdown is imminent.

Good luck, just the same.  

Good point! A hot sensor can cause problems with the image quality, but you should see the "Internal Temperature" warning icons. I've attached a screenshot from the manual page 287 (you can download the whole manual HERE.)

Movie Shooting Icons 70D.JPG

I realized those are hard to see. Here are the actual icons:
White and Red Icons.JPG

Hi Tim,

You'll want to get that to one of our repair facilities. My *guess* (not guarantee) is that your sensor might be failing. It could be any other electronic problem, our cameras are complex beasties!

If you're here in the USA, you can set it up online at the Canon USA site HERE.

Outside of the USA, you'll want to reach out to Canon in your country/region and find out the procedure for repairs there. You'll find contact information for Canon in your area by clicking HERE. From there, select your country or region and go from there! 

Announcements