cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D mark II viewfinder not working

caodangnguyen
Apprentice

Hi Guys,

My canon 6D mark II is experiencing a strange problem: when I used the viewfinder it took a long time to focus, and then it showed 30'' flashing and I can't press the shutter button. I used aperture mode set as 2.8. It seems to be an error with the light meter sensor. When I set auto ISO mode, the ISO increased to 12800 and the shutter time was 4''.  I were able to press the shutter button however the photo was over exposure (of course). Please note that I tried it outside under the sun shine.

When I turned it off and on, the problem is still. However, when I removed the battery and put it back, I can take the shot normally with viewfinder for 2 or 3 minutes then the problem is back again!

I have changed many lenses / batteries and still got the same issue. However the camera works normally in live view mode. 

My canon 6D II is practically new as it's only 6000 shutter counts.

I am not sure it's hardware or firmware? My firmware is 1.1.1.

Thanks so much for your time.

Cao

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is likely a problem with the shutter.

Reset your camera settings to defaults.  Use a Canon lens.  If this occurs with multiple Canon lenses, your camera needs service.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've reset it to the factory setting and have tried with many Canon lenses but the problem is still there.

I wonder if it's with the shutter then:

- Live view mode works normally (I can press the shutter)

- I do the trick: remove battery, put it back then it works for few minutes with viewfinder and the problem comes back!

Regards, Cao

Hi there,

Since the issue is till there, I would agree there is likely something happening with the shutter or mirror assembly that would need service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Announcements