cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 600D - Should my viewfinder look blurry without a lens is attached? I only have the cam body

vtmb760
Apprentice

Like the Subject says, I have a Canon 600D or Canon eos Rebel t3i and i'm concerned because I cant find any information in the user manual or anywhere on the net about whether I should see a clear image through the viewfinder of my camera when no lens is attached.  I only had enough $ to buy the camera body so far and I don't have a lens nor do I know anyone with a DSLR camera to question about this.  Sorry this may seem like a dumb question - perhaps I'm not supposed  to be able to see images clearly through the viewfinder without an AF Lens or some other kind've lens attached to the camera?  I just wanted to find out for sure if this camera has a serious problem before I go ahead and purchase a lens for it.  Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to clear this up for me, if you need more information from me ill be glad to give more just let me know what you need.  Sorry i'm a super beginner when it comes to high-end cameras 😞 

If my cameras viewfinder isn't supposed to look this way without a lens and this issue is not being caused by the focusing screen, then what else would be causing this problem?  Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself.  I guess i'm just worried I may have been ripped off when I bought this camera now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vtmb760 wrote:

Like the Subject says, I have a Canon 600D or Canon eos Rebel t3i and i'm concerned because I cant find any information in the user manual or anywhere on the net about whether I should see a clear image through the viewfinder of my camera when no lens is attached.  I only had enough $ to buy the camera body so far and I don't have a lens nor do I know anyone with a DSLR camera to question about this.  Sorry this may seem like a dumb question - perhaps I'm not supposed  to be able to see images clearly through the viewfinder without an AF Lens or some other kind've lens attached to the camera?  I just wanted to find out for sure if this camera has a serious problem before I go ahead and purchase a lens for it.  Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to clear this up for me, if you need more information from me ill be glad to give more just let me know what you need.  Sorry i'm a super beginner when it comes to high-end cameras 😞 

If my cameras viewfinder isn't supposed to look this way without a lens and this issue is not being caused by the focusing screen, then what else would be causing this problem?  Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself.  I guess i'm just worried I may have been ripped off when I bought this camera now.

You will not see anything through the viewfinder of any SLR (which the T3i is, obviously) without a lens attached. Indeed, you should never take the body cap off of the camera except to mount a lens. Leaving it off is a good way to get dirt on the mirror and/or the sensor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@vtmb760 wrote:

You will not see anything through the viewfinder of any SLR (which the T3i is, obviously) without a lens attached. Indeed, you should never take the body cap off of the camera except to mount a lens. Leaving it off is a good way to get dirt on the mirror and/or the sensor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority
It cannot focus without a lens. Blurry is good.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

As light enters the front of the camera, it hits a mirror which bounces the light up onto a "focusing screen". The focusing screen is frosted "glass".  

When you look through the camera, you should see the 9 focus points (tiny square boxes arranged in a diamond pattern) but everything else should be blurry unless you have a lens attached.

Any Canon "EF" or "EF-S" lens will work on the camera.  The least expensive "new" lens is the EF 50mm f/1.8.  It's $125 at most places.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

vtmb760
Apprentice

WOW, 3 replies now!!  Awesome guys, I really appreciate the feedback sooo very much.  Good news for me, haha!!  I was really getting worried there was an issue with the viewfinder or mirror or something.  You are all amazing, I truly appreciate each and every one of you taking the time out of your day to help me out with that.  Also thank you for the advice on leaving the cap on unless attaching a lens.  Just as a side note, yes I can see the 9 AF points quite clearly especially after adjusting the diopter and the other wheel.  I also see the green writing quite clearly when looking through the viewfinder.  I am going to buy a EF to M42 adapter and an old M42 50mm lens (obviously no AF but will finally be able to take some pictures right??)  It might be another couple weeks until im able to afford the 18/55 AF lens that comes stock usually.  I got the body pretty cheap and am now glad I didn't pass it up, especially now that I've been reassured from the replies from you all.  Ok well if any of you have any comments or suggestions on my upcomming lens purchase feel free to put it out there.  I just want to use my camera already to snap some pictures and have some fun and this was the cheapest way I could find that will get me going for now.  Thanks so much to everyone once again.  YOU GUYS ROCK HERE!!! 🙂

Announcements