cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 50D live view not recording

Skulkarmy
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have been searching but I cant seem to find the answer. I have a Canon 50D that I have attached to a telescope. It works wonderfully for pictures. I want to take videos so I connected my Laptop (Macbook) to my camera to use the Live View feature. Live View will open up and display what the camera is seeing. I hear the shutter open and the image is displayed on my compture. I can capture pictures of what I am seeing. I just cant recored the video. Every post I have seen or video when the person gets to the record part there is a record button in the bottom left and side of the window, mine does not have this option. any help would be wonderful thank you. 

If any additional info is needed please let me know !! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Skulkarmy wrote:

Thank you so mcuh, my camera supports live view but NOT movie recording. That explains it 🙂

You might want to research a 3rd party firmware called 'Magic Lantern' that adds some video capability to the 50D.

edit: From an article at RedShark News 

'The D50 was never meant to record video. But thanks to the almost unbelievable ingenuity of the Magic Lantern wizards, it does, and does it well. And now people are making accessories for it!

Just like anyone who bought Bitcoins about a year ago, anybody who bought an EOS-50D has arguably found themselves in possession of a deal of the century. One of the last Canon DSLRs to be released before the video-capable models emerged, the enterprising software engineers working on the Magic Lantern firmware add-on quickly discovered that it does, in fact, have pretty much all the hardware of the more recent models, and with firmware changes can be made to record video.'

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Live View and Movies are two different selections. Check your manual to be sure you have selected movie recording.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you so mcuh, my camera supports live view but NOT movie recording. That explains it 🙂

@Skulkarmy wrote:

You might want to research a 3rd party firmware called 'Magic Lantern' that adds some video capability to the 50D.

edit: From an article at RedShark News 

'The D50 was never meant to record video. But thanks to the almost unbelievable ingenuity of the Magic Lantern wizards, it does, and does it well. And now people are making accessories for it!

Just like anyone who bought Bitcoins about a year ago, anybody who bought an EOS-50D has arguably found themselves in possession of a deal of the century. One of the last Canon DSLRs to be released before the video-capable models emerged, the enterprising software engineers working on the Magic Lantern firmware add-on quickly discovered that it does, in fact, have pretty much all the hardware of the more recent models, and with firmware changes can be made to record video.'

You might be able to hook up an HDMI cable during LiveView and record the image that way.

Hello, Skulkarmy.
I am new on Canon Community and your question sounds me a good one. I have Canon 50D but I have no idea how to use Live View. May you help me, please.
Best regards.

Welcome to the forum. 

Here is the manual for your camera. 

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300001591/02/eos50d-h2-en.pdf

page 115

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi, jrhoffman.
Thanks for your answer. I'll try the information on page 115.
Best regards.
Announcements