cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot read worn serial # on Rebel T5 label

Eddibon
Contributor

I am downloading Latest Digital Pro Software for my Rebel T5 but directions for downloading says to key in the serial #, but it is mostly worn off the label the only nunbers i can read are the last six which are 002026. What are my options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_
Authority

Do you still have the box? The serial number is on the box too, it is also in the EXIF data of your JPEG or Raw pictures but the catch there is, I think, that you need the Canon software to access it or maybe some other software can access that EXIF file if so then follow this:

If the serial number on your EOS camera has either rubbed off, or the sticker on which it is printed has been removed, you can still locate the camera’s serial number via EXIF data.
Simply open one of your images (RAW or JPEG) in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software (free in the box with every EOS camera) and then either right-click and choose ‘Info...’ or select “File’ > ‘Info.’ Either of these will bring a pop-up window that displays various file EXIF information. Towards the bottom you will find an entry named ‘Camera Body No.’ - the number here is your camera’s serial number.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

Do you still have the box? The serial number is on the box too, it is also in the EXIF data of your JPEG or Raw pictures but the catch there is, I think, that you need the Canon software to access it or maybe some other software can access that EXIF file if so then follow this:

If the serial number on your EOS camera has either rubbed off, or the sticker on which it is printed has been removed, you can still locate the camera’s serial number via EXIF data.
Simply open one of your images (RAW or JPEG) in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software (free in the box with every EOS camera) and then either right-click and choose ‘Info...’ or select “File’ > ‘Info.’ Either of these will bring a pop-up window that displays various file EXIF information. Towards the bottom you will find an entry named ‘Camera Body No.’ - the number here is your camera’s serial number.

John, Thank you! I found the solution fron Robert the Fat! Your soulution was the same as his. I needed the serial # to download the latest version of DPP! I found the # in my Preview Appllication on my MAC under the Tools dropdown Menu then under "show inspector" which allowed me to open the EXIF Data to find the serial #!

Glad we could help you and you're welcome!

Announcements