cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Insert SD Card Into 5D MKIV

sfarson
Contributor

Hi... As the subject heading notes I cannot insert my SD card into the SD memory card slot. The CF card goes in just fine next to it. The SD card goes about 80% of the way in. I see no obstructions, have tried a different SD cards. No luck. Have had the camera for three years or so. No issues util today. Any ideas? Am I overlooking something? Going nuts? Getting too old? 🙂 Thanks for any ideas or things to try. Steve

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Just checking if you're using a full-sized card or micro-sized with an adapter (avoid cards with adapters). 

Double-check that it's going in the correct direction.  When you have the compartment open such that the rear of the camera is facing you, the label-side of the card should also be facing you.

If you don't see any type of blockage, maybe trying using a rocket-blower or similar the area is free of any debris.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

normadel
Authority
Authority

Look in the slot to see if something is in there. Maybe the write-protection slider that fell off the last SD card?

sfarson
Contributor

Hi Everyone... Thanks for the suggestions. I'm, puzzled by it. Tried different SD Cards. They all work with other devices. Don't see any obstructions in the slot. Tried blowing things out. SD cards can go about 7/8 of the way then, then something prevents the SD card from going any further. But hey, the CF card works great and it is all I really need. Thanks again for the suggestions. Steve

The other suggestions here are well worth checking -- though it sounds as if you have.

You say it stops about 80% of the way in.  That's about the point that the push-click-pop-out mechanism (technical term) would engage with the card.  So, it could be that that mechanism has broken, inside the camera.  If so, then I can't see any alternative except to send it in for service.  If it's under warranty, I would get that going before the warranty expires.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah you need service call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Maybe you have a bent terminal in the SD slot, and the card is hitting it at 80%?

Announcements