cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the laser show my local bar band uses damage my Canon 5d3 sensor? Any new data?

FrankR
Contributor

Can the laser show used by my local bar band really destroy the sensor in my Canon 5D3?  I did a web search and found lots of references to a case about a 5D2 a few years ago, but there's been nothing since.  Was that a fluke or do I really risk my cameras shooting a bar band for free?  And if so. . .what does a new sensor cost?

For anyone in the forum who shoots bands with laser shows. . .what I've read says you can be safe if you work it out with the guy who programs the show, and stand in some designated safe zone where the laser will not go.  Sounds scary to me.

Here's a pic; they're  a Judas Priest tribute band in San Diego, Hellbent.  Great music, great show.  Camera settings were f/2.8, 1/160th, 6400 ISO with a 24-70 or 70-200 (I used both and forget which this was).  You can see the lasers were coming dangerously close to me.

MSBenefit-1215.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks for the price info, hsbn.  That'll be useful when the band insists it's perfectly safe.  As for nobody being stupid enough to try it since '08. . .well, here's one guy who was!  Although I'd like to think it was more ignorance and even naivity; I never gave a thought that a public show like that could be dangerous to the audience or to cameras.  Live and learn.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

No, I actually mean "radiation".  Industrial lasers can be so powerful that even the defused radition from a reflective surface can be hazardous to the eye. It is not something to mess with as it can happen very quickly and the individual not even realize it until too late. There is no such thing as a perfect laser beam. Now you may want to not believe me, you can go with what you belive to be so.  You are certainly free to take the chance. The choice is yours.

A little studying up on lasers may change your mind.

I guess I still don’t understand what you mean by “radiation”; it sounds like you’re talking about scattering or just a reflected laser. Do you have any literature you can point me to?  I would love to do a little ‘studying up’. I admit that I’m no expert with lasers, but I have done a bit of work with YAG, argon, xenon, and little HeNe lasers.  I don’t know of any other kind of radiation from a laser other than its own reflection, which of course is just more electromagnetic radiation.  Are you suggesting that lasers can create ionizing radiation of some sort?  Are you manufacturing some sort of Death Ray, eBiggs?

@FrankR wrote:

Thanks--any idea what the cost would be, to replace the sensor?

As ebiggs says, it's not a solution you want to consider.

As I said, I personally wouldn't worry.  But nobody is going to advise you to do it, for the legal implications if something happened to go wrong.  See the canned statement from Canon above.

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast

@FrankR wrote:

Can the laser show used by my local bar band really destroy the sensor in my Canon 5D3?  I did a web search and found lots of references to a case about a 5D2 a few years ago, but there's been nothing since.  Was that a fluke or do I really risk my cameras shooting a bar band for free?  And if so. . .what does a new sensor cost?

For anyone in the forum who shoots bands with laser shows. . .what I've read says you can be safe if you work it out with the guy who programs the show, and stand in some designated safe zone where the laser will not go.  Sounds scary to me.

Here's a pic; they're  a Judas Priest tribute band in San Diego, Hellbent.  Great music, great show.  Camera settings were f/2.8, 1/160th, 6400 ISO with a 24-70 or 70-200 (I used both and forget which this was).  You can see the lasers were coming dangerously close to me.

MSBenefit-1215.jpg

Hi,

Laser beams may not only damage your camera sensor, but also and much more important: your eyes.

There are safety regulations, but unfortunately not always respected...

We have poste a thorough report about Laser beams, Sensors & Safety:

Report: CMOS & CCD Cameras Damaged by Laser

Hope this really helps!

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

Wow--those videos are pretty **bleep** convincing.  Thanks for the link, and for the info. I think I've shot my last laser show. . .and I'm glad I just got lucky and didn't destroy my camera's sensors. 

tallrob
Contributor
Are you sure they're using actual lasers? If so, that's pretty irresponsible. But I bet they're not. Most of these indoor "laser" shows are actually high tech light shows using filters, refractors and gobos to xenon lights into patterns. Lasers are only necessary for outdoor shows where the beams need to travel long distances.

If they're using real lasers you should ask them to check if that's actually permitted. They could get into trouble.

Well, the band calls it a laser show.  I checked the website of one of the bigger music supply houses; they sell things called "laser effect" devices but yeah, they contain 10mW lasers (or some other power). So I'm guessing that's what they're using.  Unfortunately.

Announcements