cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get live streaming with EOS R to work

greggp
Enthusiast

I've watched numerous videos to try to learn how to use my EOS R for live streaming. All the videos I've found show how to do this with a Mac. I can't find any specifically for Windows 10, which I run. The basic instructions tell you to install the latest EOS utility for your camera/OS. I'm running EOS Utility 3 (version 3.12.10.7). I have my EOS R connected via USB (it's connected to my USB3.1/Thunderbolt 3 Type-C port) on my MSI laptop. The laptop recognizes the camera and will let me do file transfers, charge the battery, etc.

When I run the EOS Utility and go into 'Remote Shooting', I can control the camera when I am in one of the photo modes. I can adjust my camera's settings, take a photo, etc. When I switch to video mode, I can still adjust all the settings but when I use my mouse to select the utility's shutter button I get a "capture failed" error message. In either case, I can't get into the live view. When I select the 'Live View shoot...' button, the utility disappears. If I select 'Open' after picking the EOS Utility icon in my taskbar, I get a window with the text 'Connect an EOS camera'. It seems the utility no longer recognizes the connection to my computer. Since I am directly connected using the USB cable, it doesn't seem like I should need to do the WI-FI/LAN pairing. When I pick the 'Pairing over WI-FI/LAN" button, The EOS Pairing Software window doesn't list my camera. If I try to enable my Wi-Fi settings on my camera, the menus won't let me do anything while I'm connected via USB.

I've also tried downloading the new EOS Webcam Utility Beta 0.9.0 for Windows. After following the installation instructions and rebooting my laptop, running Skype, and going into the audio/video settings, the EOS Webcam is not listed as a camera choice. So that doesn't seem to work either.

Has anyone else been able to get this to work on Windows 10? Am I missing some critical setting, either on my laptop or camera?

-Gregg

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Using the EOS Utility for live streaming is the stuff of urban legends, so I am going to pass on that topic.  It is not a mode of operation that is supported by Canon, anyway.

As for the EOS Utility Web Cam Beta software goes, read the "Supporting Documents" on the download page.  There is also a current thread in the "Softwrae" forum.  You need to be running a native installation of Windows 10, not an upgrade version from Windows 7/8.

Canon Moderators keep reminding people that you need to shutdown the regular EOS Utility, which also includes shutting down its' EOS Utility Launcher Service icon that is visible in the System Tray section of the Windows Taskbar.  Good Luck. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've downloaded the EOS Utility Webcam Beta software. After following the install instructions, including rebooting my laptop, the utility doesn't work as I expected. I thought if I used something like Skype, it would be one of the options listed for the camera. My laptop's webcam is the only thing listed.

I also downloaded OBS and was happy to see it show up there. Now I just need to figure out how to use OBS.

I'll check out the thread in the software forum.

Thanks for your help.

@greggp wrote:

I've downloaded the EOS Utility Webcam Beta software. After following the install instructions, including rebooting my laptop, the utility doesn't work as I expected. I thought if I used something like Skype, it would be one of the options listed for the camera. My laptop's webcam is the only thing listed.

I also downloaded OBS and was happy to see it show up there. Now I just need to figure out how to use OBS.

I'll check out the thread in the software forum.

Thanks for your help.

The Supporting Documents for all Canon software specify an Intel Core CPU.  People running AMD processors seem to always havve issues running the Canon software.  Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OK, good to know. My MSI laptop has an Intel CPU.

Hi greggp,

The EOS Utility 3 and EOS Webcam Utility are two separate programs and in order for the EOS Webcam Utility to function properly EOS Utility 3 needs to be closed. I recommend checking the system tray on the bottom right corner of your screen as well just to make sure EOS Utility 3 is not running in the background. Since they both communicate with your EOS R via USB only one of them is grabbing the signal at a time and the camera appears to prioritize EOS Utility 3 over the EOS Webcam Utility.

I've been able to try the EOS Webcam beta. It works with my system. Now I just need to find an application that I can use to webcast. I discovered the Windows 10 Skype app doesn't work but the desktop version does. I'm also exploring OBS. That program is a little confusing.

However, I couldn't get the EOS Utility 3 to work with live view. That's a little disappointing. It sounds like it doesn't work with the Windows version. The YouTube videos I watched demonstrating using it were all Mac-based.

Announcements