cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I remote-trigger an EOS Rebel XTi via an iPad?

villyguy
Contributor

I want to set up a digital camera near the bird feeder on a tree near our house and be able to trigger the camera from within our house when we see a bird we want to photograph. I am told that with the right camera, I can get an app that would let me accomplish this using my iPad.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XTi camera (DS126151). Will this camera work in such an arrangement? If so, what app would I need?

I am a newbie, so please bear that in mind if you reply (smile). Thanks in advance for any advice.

11 REPLIES 11

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

villyguy,

Your XTi doesn't have Wi-fi, so it looks like you have two options:

1) Use an Eye-fi SD card. The wi-fi function is built into the SD me ory card. I don't think I would recommend this. The technology is very old and is no longer supported. Every thing I've read about it was pretty bad.

2) A wired remote shutter release cable. You can do a Google search for that term: "Wired shutter release cable for the Canon XTi"

One of the results you will get is this: 

Pixel TW-283 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Cable Wired Remote Control Compatible Compatible for Canon XT XTi XS XSi T1i

Steve Thomas

Thanks for the great advice. Because I like the ability to use the setup with the iPad, I will probably get a camera with Wi-Fi . Can you suggest a low cost camera that would meet my need? I’d probably keep my eye out for a deal on a used one.

With a Wi-Fi camera, what app would help with the iPad/camera setup I seek?

villyguy,

Before anyone could offer a suggestion about what kind of camera to buy, they would first need to know how much money you want to spend.

The best suggestion I can make is that you visit someplace that sells cameras like a Walmart or a Target, or a Best Buy, or even a camera store if you have one nearby.

Don't go there with the intention to buy anything. Just pick up a couple, and hold them in your hands. Do they feel comfortabe? Are the controls laid out where you can easily get to them? How is the weight? Are they too heavy, or too light? Can you easily grip the camera and hold it up to your for a long period of time?

Different cameras have different features. For example, it wouldn't be advantageous to you to buy a camera that takes 30 frames a second, if all you want to do is take a single picture of one flower that is sitting there motionless.

Try to think about the kind of pictures you want to take, and look for a camera that is strong in those features. For instance, Is video important to you, or not important at all?

You asked about Wi-fi with your iPad. Canon offers a free app called Canon Camera Connect. A lot of people use that for remote shooting.

I personally have an Android tablet and use an app called Camera Connect and Control with it. That's a paid app though.

Steve Thomas

Thank again for the very helpful advice. I hear what you're saying about checking out the camera and will definitely keep your advice in mind when selecting. I will only need a camera for single-shot photos of motionless subjects, so that should narrow things down.

Final question: will "any" digital camera with WiFi suit my needs for this camera-app-iPad setup? In other words, no matter which make of camera I get, if it has WiFi, can I be sure to get an app that lets me trigger the camera via my iPad?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not sure the way you go about this is the best way. I would strongly advise against the eye-fi SD as they are so unreliable and are basically designed to import photos to your computer. What you really want is a game camera. They are designed to do exactly what you want and are motion triggered. Some can interact with your iphone and or ipad.

However, still wanting to use you Rebel XTi a good tripod and a telephoto lens is a better solution. You must be in a position where you can see your feeder otherwise how would you know when to trigger the Rebel so a tripod and tele lens is a good option.

123.jpg789.jpg

456.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, and those are great photos. I would prefer to see through the iPad what I'm going to take a photo of, if an app enables that.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I doubt that is possible with a XTi. Check out a game camera.

124.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Based on advice here I have decided not to use my Rebel XTi. I will instead get a Wi-Fi enabled camera, because I really want to try the camera-app-iPad setup

i’m wondering if any Wi-Fi camera will do, or if I need to get one for which there is a camera-specific app that allows this setup

Or is there a universal app that works on with any Wi-Fi camera and an iPad?

So confusing for a newbie (smile)

villyguy,

I could be wrong, but I think each brand of camera has an app unique to that brand.

In Canon's case, it's an app called Canon Camera Connect. The app is not camera model specific. It is compatible with a wide range of models.

If you decide on a specific model of camera, you can find out if it is compatible with the CCC app.  Most newer models are.

As far as the iPad goes, you might ask people who own one. Be prepared to tell them what version of iPad you have and what its IOS is.

You can also contact Canon Support and ask them.

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements