cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera stops taking photos

Newbie101
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT camera, model number DS126071. When I use this camera it might take 2 or 3 photos, or 20 to 30 photos, it varies. Then without warning it will simply quit focusing or taking photos. The LCD Panel is still powered on, but nothing else works. The only solution I have found that fixes the problem (temporarily) is to remove the battery, reinsert it and turn the camera back on. I can then take more photos until the problem repeats itself. I've owned this camera for several years now and never had a problem with it, until about 6 months ago when this issue began. Any and all help/suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Sounds as though the sensor may be overheating. That's more likely to happen with videos than with still pictures, but one never knows - especially with an old camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It could also be that the battery is done it's life cycle unless it happens with other batteries too.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Newbie101
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. Just to add to my original post, I noticed when the camera stopped working that the aperture numbers on the LCD Panel and in the viewfinder both showed 0.0, is that a camera problem or a lense problem? 

@Newbie101 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Just to add to my original post, I noticed when the camera stopped working that the aperture numbers on the LCD Panel and in the viewfinder both showed 0.0, is that a camera problem or a lense problem? 

It could either the camera, or the lens.  It means the two are not communicating, if you using an auto-focus lens.  Try a different lens on the camera.  Or, try the lens on another camera body.  But, before you do that ...  ....  ....

With the lens off of the camera, you should check the pins that contact the lens.  Make sure the contact pins on the camera's lens mount are not stuck.  The pins should be have some spring action to them when pressed, but do not touch them with your finger, as this can introduce oil and dirt.  

If the pins on either the camera or the lens, look dirty, scratched, or rusted, then they are no good and need to be replaced.  If the pins on the lens look bad, then do not try the lens on another camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements