cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera functions not responding fixed

unclejace54
Enthusiast

My EOS R5 lost several functions today including loss of all menus for camera settings and playback, loss of mode functions, loss of auto focus, loss of metering, no shutter operation. I was able to take pictures in manual focus mode but could not review them in camera. Contacted support on the phone but because I could not access any menus, we could not reset camera or update firmware. Attempted to reset camera by removing battery, turning on camera and pressing shutter button several times. Also, connecting to computer and using EOS utility showed the camera was "busy." Phone support prognosis was to send camera in for repair.

After leaving camera for several hours with no battery, I was able to change the mode and updated firmware using EOS Utility (Mode previously stuck in Tv and could not be changed). Now all camera functions have returned to normal.

NOTE: I had just installed a new SD card 64 GB, 150 MB/s before this problem occured. New firmware 1.3.0 is supposed to fix cameras not operating properly with certain SD cards. It's interesting that the camera continued acting poorly even when I removed the card when I was troubleshooting. In any event, I have posted this for information purposes only. The camera is now functioning normally after setting for several hrs and updating firmware.

12 REPLIES 12

@unclejace54 wrote:

Yes. Let me clarify that the camera is working fine now and has been since my first post. When it was acting up, neither removing lens or memory card had any effect. Basic camera body would not display menus or allow mode changes. I imagine it may act up again, or not. Hard to fix it when it ain't broke.

That's great.  It works.

Do you format your SD cards prior to first use?  This must be done to every memory card, preferably in the camera.  What type of lens were using when the problem occurred?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes. Everytime before use. Lens was RF 100-500.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@unclejace54 wrote:

"Attempted to reset camera by removing battery, turning on camera and pressing shutter button several times. "

Sounds like your camera may be in need of service.  What happens when you turn it on without any memory cards?

When you attempt that type of reset, be sure to close the battery compartment door after removing the battery.  Might as well remove the memory card(s), too.  Turn on the camera switch.  Now, fully press and hold the shutter for at least 10 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements