cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Recommendations for Professional Photography

annav
Apprentice

Hi everyone! 

I am currently starting out, getting into professional photography! I have some experience from school, personal photography projects, and an internship, but so far I have only borrowed/rented camera equipment, and I am looking to buy my own camera and equipment! I've got some ideas of what I am looking for, however, I have found it slightly overwhelming to look through all the different types of camera equipment, so I thought I would start here. I'm planning to do a combination of sports, senior/family photography, children and maybe some weddings, but I'd also like something versatile, so I could also do concert photography, as that is something I want to try and hopefully do in the future! I'd prefer a mirrorless camera, but I am open to any suggestions! Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you plan to get paid for photography work, one strong recommendation I'd have is to have a camera with dual card slots (to give some extra protection).  These tend to be costlier models such as the EOS R6 II or EOS R5 to name a couple.

For concert photography, adding your own lighting is most likely not possible/allowed, so you'll want to ensure your lens can let in as much light as possible.  Depending upon your distance to your subjects, look at the RF 24-70mm f/2.8L or RF 70-200mm f/2.8L.  These lenses are workhorses and would be good to have for other types of work.

While it wouldn't be a zoom, look at the RF 135mm f/1.8L.  That would be a very good portait lens and would also do extremely well in very low light situations.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

That's a very large set of genres.  And especially for weddings, it's best to have at least two camera bodies.   These different genres will command the use of a wide variety of lenses as well.

Having said all that, I would recommend starting out in one particular genre to gain experience first.  Of what you listed, weddings would be the most demanding.

Once you have a genre to focus upon, also let us know your budget.  Beyond camera and lenses, depending upon what you'll be doing, you'd perhaps also need lighting and other gear.

--
Ricky

Hi! Sorry about the large list of genres, I should have narrowed it down more for this question!

What I should have said is that those are some of the areas I have experienced already and am looking to possibly shoot in the future. I would like to pursue concert photography the most, however I know this is not the most practical route, and I don't have much experience in this area, so I am hoping to find a camera that allows me to practice this, but can also be used for shoots such as senior or family pictures, etc.  

As for a budget, I don't have an exact budget planned out yet, as I am just in the looking stage right now. I'd prefer to invest in nice equipment, and get a great quality camera, rather than buying something that I'll have to replace down the line. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify!

Thanks for the advice!

If you plan to get paid for photography work, one strong recommendation I'd have is to have a camera with dual card slots (to give some extra protection).  These tend to be costlier models such as the EOS R6 II or EOS R5 to name a couple.

For concert photography, adding your own lighting is most likely not possible/allowed, so you'll want to ensure your lens can let in as much light as possible.  Depending upon your distance to your subjects, look at the RF 24-70mm f/2.8L or RF 70-200mm f/2.8L.  These lenses are workhorses and would be good to have for other types of work.

While it wouldn't be a zoom, look at the RF 135mm f/1.8L.  That would be a very good portait lens and would also do extremely well in very low light situations.

--
Ricky

Thank you! I will look into these options! 

Anna

Elite,

I am a professional photographer covering family, newborn, child and birthday parties. Currently I have a 5d mrk ii with several "L" lenses.

What would you recommend I upgrade to?  I am planning to move into sports photography as I get older.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Current Cameras R5, R3

Coming Soon R5mkII or R1

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

What about R6 ii?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I provided professional level recommendations based on the threads title. 😀

The R62 is considered enthusiast grade.  It's a wonderful camera also.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements