cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF Cards for 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III

Sophiem2
Contributor

Do the 5D MKII and the MKII use the same CF cards?  I recently purchased a MKIII and wanted to know if I could use the same cards i use in my MKII

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, I believe the 5D3 is able to use the all same type of CF card as the 5D2.  This does not mean that you can swap the same cards back and forth between the two camera bodies.  You should not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for explaining that and taking the time to do so.  This is really helpful 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, I believe the 5D3 is able to use the all same type of CF card as the 5D2.  This does not mean that you can swap the same cards back and forth between the two camera bodies.  You should not.

That was my question though. That’s what I was wanting to know if I could do.  So I need to purchase separate cards for the two cameras? Why isn’t it a good idea to use the same cards in both?  

Thank you for your reply, btw. 

Without taking a deep dive into computer theory that I do not understand, just accept the fact.  FIre is hot.  Do not stick your hand into it.  It is not even a good idea to swap cards between two bodies of the same model.

Just askin 

But if you first say formatted the cards in the 5D II, then inserted them into the 5D III and formatted again there, shouldn't that work?  Then doing the same in reverse when going from the 5D III to the 5D II.

Just a theory of course.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

That explanation makes sense.  Now I understand why you maybe shouldn’t switch the same card from camera to camera. Thank you 

@Sophiem2 wrote:

That explanation makes sense.  Now I understand why you maybe shouldn’t switch the same card from camera to camera. Thank you 

Ricky's answer is technically correct. 

However: 1. you have two camera bodies worth about $1000 between them on the used purchase market (should you damage them). 2. A compatible CF card is less than $100. 3. Unlike SD and CFe cards, the CF card uses a pin and socket design. There are many YouTube videos involving camera damage where the CF pins in the body have been bent during installation of the card. 4. Swapping cards back and forth increases the possibility of damage.

So, yes, it can be done. Is it worth it? Probably not.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Good point. Thank you. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I had both 5D models the Mk II and Mk III. I used both at the same time and I had around a dozen CF cards. I don't ever remember trying to make sure which went in to which camera. I never had any issues. I am not sure but the CR2 files are probably not identical but again Lightroom didn't seem to care either.

I never took one out of a Mk II and immediately stuck it into a Mk III or vice-versa for instance so I have no clue about that working or not. I would say that's not a good idea just on the thought of it.

Care does need to be taken when inserting the CF but over all those years still to today, I never bent a pin. Not once!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements