cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Image Formats From CR2 Format

paulm888
Apprentice

Hi,

I am pretty new to the DSLR world and don't have a lot of experience. Looking for advice for the best image formats for:

1. Using in Apple Photos
  2. Make prints to frame

I have edited my photos in Canon Digital Photo Professional 4. Mostlly just cropping and some easy processing using preset values. I would like to convert my edited raw photos to import to Apple Photos. I would also like to have some of my better photos professionally printed and framed.

I've always gravitated to PNG files but I'm sure there are better formats for both. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you shooting in Raw now?

The best is (if you don't have a new unsupported camera*) is RAW with exported highest quality JPEG for printing. You can export losslessly compressed TIF's, too, but this results in *large* files - larger than raw!

*Canon's get supported by Apple pretty quickly. Other mfg's not so much. I doubt that my Olympus TG-5 will ever be supported.

Thank you. I'll try JPEG's at the highest quality. I've experimented with rawtherapee which works pretty well. The only thing I can't get to work is to respect the editing I've done with Canons Digital Photo Professional. 
Thanks again for the suggestion. 

Regards,

Paul 

@paulm888 wrote:

Thank you. I'll try JPEG's at the highest quality. I've experimented with rawtherapee which works pretty well. The only thing I can't get to work is to respect the editing I've done with Canons Digital Photo Professional. 
Thanks again for the suggestion. 

Regards,

Paul 

Not sure I understand the question. If you mean Rawtherapee doesn't recognize the edits you made in DPP then that is correct. Any DPP edits aren't applied to an image until you Convert and Save and it would be a JPEG or TIFF.

But you can print an edited RAW file directly from DPP. File->Print

Screenshot 2024-01-19 192905.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements