cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Cleaning Kit for Canon 1D Mark IV

blakemckenna
Apprentice

I just purchased a used Canon 1D Mark IV and noticed that when I look into the viewfinder, it looks pretty dirty. I cleaned the eyepiece really good as well as the lens I was using. I'm guessing it's the sensor that is dirty. I looked up the size of the sensor for the 1D and it's 27.9mm X 18.6mm. Does anyone know of a good cleaning kit that will clean this size sensor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do not try to clean the sensor!  The sensor is not the issue.  Have your camera professionally cleaned and checked.

Do you know how a DSLR works?  When you look through the OVF, Optical View Finder, the image sensor is not in the light path through to your eye.

E4E12407-8AB0-40C5-A61E-C6F75492C552.png

The image sensor is #4.  The mirror is #2, which reflects the light up to the pentaprism, #7, and viewfinder, #8.  If you are seeing dust when you look through the OVF, try a different lens.  If you still see dust, then the most likely cause is dust on the viewscreen, #5.

All of the items in the illustration are extremely delicate and precisely aligned.  If you do not know what they are, which you apparently do not, then I strongly recommend leaving the cleaning to professionals.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do not try to clean the sensor!  The sensor is not the issue.  Have your camera professionally cleaned and checked.

Do you know how a DSLR works?  When you look through the OVF, Optical View Finder, the image sensor is not in the light path through to your eye.

E4E12407-8AB0-40C5-A61E-C6F75492C552.png

The image sensor is #4.  The mirror is #2, which reflects the light up to the pentaprism, #7, and viewfinder, #8.  If you are seeing dust when you look through the OVF, try a different lens.  If you still see dust, then the most likely cause is dust on the viewscreen, #5.

All of the items in the illustration are extremely delicate and precisely aligned.  If you do not know what they are, which you apparently do not, then I strongly recommend leaving the cleaning to professionals.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your help!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do not try to clean the sensor!  The sensor is not the issue."

This answer is only partially good advice. Yes, the best solution is to have a pro shop service it and clean the innards. Canon no longer services the 1D Mk IV which is a fantastic camera and the last of the 1.3 crop sensor cameras. This means you need to find another shop to do it. I don't recommend a beginner to do it themselves.

Any dirt in the VF area will not show up in your photos so you can shoot as is if the photos look good. However, if the VF area is indeed dirty and in need of cleaning I guarantee you the sensor needs to be cleaned also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements