cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice choosing between Canon EOS R or RP - Been playing with the EOS for little under a month now.

cristomike2
Apprentice

So as the title says, i've had the Canon EOS RP for little under a month now. I was lucky to punch in at around 1650 USD for the body + the 24-105 Kit Lens (which is amazing).

Now, i dont have time, to wait for another Pro body, that might come or not come by the end of this or start of next year. I've been giving the opportunity to upgrade to the Canon EOS R for roughly 500 USD more (with the Lens kit) and i'm there for looking for advices to wether i should do it or not.

Just throwing some informations out there:

- I'll primarily be using the camera in a photostudio setup, taking pictures of colorfull objects.- Not planning to shoot in extreme situations, where i'll have to crank up the ISO to achieve a good exposure.- The reason i might consider the upgrade is, because i'd like to make it my primary camera for the next period of 3-5 years at the very least.

The talk about the Dynamic range on the EOS RP vs the R is also something that i getting and making me think the upgrade for 500 USD is justifiable, specially if i'm planing to use it for atleast 3-5 years. What do you think?

20 REPLIES 20

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,
I'm not a fan of either body, so I can't get excited about owning one of them.  There are two types of people now.  Ones that are OK with Canon's first and second gen mirrorless and one's who aren't. 

If the RP is meeting your needs, keep it.  You have already stated you won't shoot in "extreme" conditions.  If I was going to "lock" myself in on a platform for the next 3-5 yrs..  it wouldn't be with a R or RP. 

The R5 will get announced shortly and although it is months away from release (not end of the year), I wouldn't buy a first or second gen R or RP in the first place.  A refurb RP is $810 right now.  In two months people are going to have a hard time giving them away.  Both are destined to become modest, affordable entry level mirrorless body's.  They already are now.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"I'm not a fan of either body, so I can't get excited about owning one of them.  ... If the RP is meeting your needs, keep it.  ...  If I was going to "lock" myself in on a platform for the next 3-5 yrs..  it wouldn't be with a R or RP. 

The R5 will get announced shortly ...  I wouldn't buy a first or second gen R or RP in the first place.  ...

~Rick"

I had to repost that quote because it is what I would have said.  Smiley Happy
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I'm not a fan of either body, so I can't get excited about owning one of them.  ... If the RP is meeting your needs, keep it.  ...  If I was going to "lock" myself in on a platform for the next 3-5 yrs..  it wouldn't be with a R or RP. 

The R5 will get announced shortly ...  I wouldn't buy a first or second gen R or RP in the first place.  ...

~Rick"

Meanwhile, what do you do with the EOS RP that you just purchased?  

Coming from you, I find that comment somewhat surprising.  Who knows when the EOS R5 will actually be released.  You have always advocated having a camera today is better than waiting on a new camera that will be released some day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thats just it...  he's got a camera.  (Mirrorless to boot).  My feeling is this is throwing good money after bad.  But you can look at it both ways. 

Neither body has what I consider good or even decent battery life. (but R does have a bigger batt for sure)

I wouldn't spend $500 on a R.  Maybe he has the option to trade up?  Not sure, but if not, now you are stuck with 2 so-so mirrorless bodies. 

Prices are going to drop sooner rather than later.  While I believe the R6 release might be delayed, I think Canon has gone all in on the R5.  I believe B&H and Canon will both have it in July..  limited quantities aside, but it will be shipping. 

And then people who opted for the RP are going to > R and (some) people who bought R's will dump them for R5's. 

Manufacturing in Malaysia and Taiwan were down, but have resumed about 80% production. Speed bump. 

You can always sell your used stuff and upgrade.  If he wants an R so badly, then get it... 

But that would not be me.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

^^^^ what Rick said Smiley Happy ^^^

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shadowsports wrote:

Thats just it...  he's got a camera.  (Mirrorless to boot).  My feeling is this is throwing good money after bad.  But you can look at it both ways. 

Neither body has what I consider good or even decent battery life. (but R does have a bigger batt for sure)

I wouldn't spend $500 on a R.  Maybe he has the option to trade up?  Not sure, but if not, now you are stuck with 2 so-so mirrorless bodies. 

Prices are going to drop sooner rather than later.  While I believe the R6 release might be delayed, I think Canon has gone all in on the R5.  I believe B&H and Canon will both have it in July..  limited quantities aside, but it will be shipping. 

And then people who opted for the RP are going to > R and (some) people who bought R's will dump them for R5's. 

Manufacturing in Malaysia and Taiwan were down, but have resumed about 80% production. Speed bump. 

You can always sell your used stuff and upgrade.  If he wants an R so badly, then get it... 

But that would not be me.

He made it clear that the R would be an upgrade.  Following your advice, he would own two bodies, both an RP and an R5, instead of just the R.  

[EDIT] Battery life is the biggest problem with mirrorless bodies.  Somehow, I doubt if the battery life issues will be solved by the R5.

"I've been giving the opportunity to upgrade to the Canon EOS R for roughly 500 USD more (with the Lens kit) and i'm there for looking for advices to wether i should do it or not."

I do not think my colleagues understood your post.  I say go for the EOS R, and add the AC Adapter.  

@ebiggs1 wrote:

~Rick"

Me too. In fact, I had said it, but not as well, and then deleted it.  Smiley Wink

Wait for the R5, then decide whether it's worth the money. If it isn't, grab an R at a lower price or wait for the R6. (I suppose it's even possible that the R5 and R6 will come out simultaneously.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

i think moving up to the EOS R would be a good move.  The EOS R has a larger battery.  The EOS R has a Canon battery grip, as well as an AC Power adapter option available.  The EOS RP has no battery grip or AC Power adapter option from Canon.  If you will be using the camera primarily in a static studio scenario, then you should give these power issues a closer look.

Announcements